to 8 or not to 8?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by sirbhp, Jan 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I have a HP pavilion touch screen PC as well as a laptop. They both run on OEM window 7, but the pc one haS become unstable recently and i have to keep repairing and restoring the blooming thing .
    Should i invest in windows 8 for better stability for this touch screen pc?

Looked at the computer type sites and am now totally lost and confused.
    cheers troops .

2. I have win 8. It took me a little while to get used to it....but it's very good. It will be excellent on a touch screen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had 8 but didn't like it's Windows for kids feel.

I went back to 7 as I like to have control over the desktop and OS. You can get 8 to look professional but you need add on software. Also getting the required rights over the OS is long winded.

I did not find that 8 was an improvement performance wise, however there aren't any apps or games written yet that utilise any improvements (non that I used anyway).

If you have a touch screen or tablet then yes I would recommend it, if you have a standard laptop or PC and monitor then I would stick with 7.

4. You have the same control over the desktop, and OS in Win8

No it's not

Win8 performance is much better, though I now have a SSD, so that will be a factor.

If you've a touchscreen, then Win8 should be awesome

• Like Like x 1
  5. I would stick with Win 7 until at least the first service pack is released for Win 8.
    Or until the bugs have been sought out, have never bought a new MS O/S until at least a year from it's start date.
    But it is up to you and some people do like what they see in Win 8.
    I'm sticking to Win 7 & XP!

6. I had 7 on my Lenovo (non touch screen) and it kept having issues and blue screening. I upgraded to 8 and now it is stable and I am happy. I have control over my desktop and OS and all I had to do was add classic start menu as suggested by an arrse member. In contrast to skunkchap, I would say bin 7 and go with 8 even if you do not have a touch screen.

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there are some huge software updates coming down the pipe, last I heard windows was stopping service packs and doing the mega update tuesday type thing. my usual concern is the massive temp files these creates but it can never be as bad as the way vista messed those up.

I haven't had many issues with 8, one laptop does crash a lot but it is running with a hard drive in place of the dvd since the mainboard went wonky and there is a problem with intel graphics drivers they've known about since august so I cant adjust the brightness through windows.

the start screen is there if I want it and a few apps are handy or fun, using classic shell for the start menu but most things I want or need are pinned to the taskbar and quick launch bars anyway.

the main issues are the obligatory flash and java problems like having to disable chrome flash to use windows flash so the rest of the system doesn't go all strange which it does.

there is supposed to be a gesture control ability on synaptics touchpads to allow you to swipe the screen and use hot corners if you haven't got touch screen. touchscreen on the big monitor I have in the lounge for the media.lounge machine would be handy but hardly a handicap.

big debates on whether win8 is being successfull or not, but seeing as most people are happy with win7 and the shiney new thing has been superceeded with games consoles and tablets there wont be a huge rush for any pc kit as there have no big realtime jumps like you used to get with 485-pentium-duo. they add a bit of speed and gb every year but what you buy now is little different to 10 years ago when the rush was to upgrade so you could have a flat screen. win7 runs great on a Pentium 4 as would win 8 if they ported the older drivers across.

8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

the problem that i have this minute that the pc wont boot up in anything other than safe mode , so can i upgrade to win 8 in safe-mode ? I don't want to loose everything although the important stuff has been backed up .

Again many thanks for the help.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you cant update in safe mode.

if it will run in safe mode then windows core is okay so you can try to restore back to when it did run then turn off automatic updates as it sounds like that sort of issue.

or run msconfig and disable all the startup items like print managers which are set to run. if it will startup then you can try an upgrade in situ. running sfc might help if windows is damaged or try refreshPC.

better to run a fresh copy rather than upgrade - you end up with a windows old folder to move files and app data over from. or dual boot win7 and win8 incase there is something you cant get working. you can allways take 7 back off at a later date.

10. This. (These?). Anyway. I agree.

11. The SSD drive gave you 95% of your performance boost.

You have to create shortcuts to Windows explorer / cmd prompt / run etc many of the ways into the OS to fine tune it are not as easy to access. Ideal for putting onto a non techy persons PC.

The final straw was Windows 8 deciding that BF3 update files should be opened with one of it's mickey mouse apps istead of using Origin (that had been fine before)

The general consensus between myself and the 4 other TDA's that I work with is that it is not a serious Office / business based OS and will not be rolled out in any of the business environments that we support or design for.

Oh and also the app support is very immature at the moment with many being US based. And the app version of ie is pretty much ie lite.

There is more but I'll end up sounding like I have an axe to grind. It's ok for what it is designed for, it isn't another ME or Vista but it is not worth he effort of upgrading from 7 as it is not better for office based or gamer users.

12. Won't be upgrading. It won't run Office 2003, which I have grown used to over the years and have no intention of "upgrading" to 2010, which in my opinion is merely a marketing trick being played on the buyer. "Ribbon", indeed.

13. Office 2010 is a major change in design and usually takes more user training than other apps as most users cannot find the shortcuts and menus that they are used to. Many take a while to get used to the Ribbons.

However if you don't like 2010's style, you'll poop bricks at Office 2013.

14. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

first i took the keyboard off then I .......

15. Exactly. I doubt if the users around the world ask for whole new interfaces to learn about every couple of years; Microsoft does, however, have a very good business plan. I was happy with a typewriter, personally, and a clerk who could add to do the books.