TLAs

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Cuddles, Apr 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TLAs = Three letter acronyms

Why does everything these days have to come down to a three letter acronym? Apart from the ETLAs of course (Extended Three Letter Acronyms, which have four letters)...is there a JSP on this??

Is there an SD Nazi out there who can explain or someone who has worked their way through the strange minds of the military and discovered the rationale - if there is one??

2. JSP 101 has ABBREVIATIONS FOR RANKS AND APPOINTMENTS and GENERAL ABBREVIATIONS for using in DW Annex G and H to Chapter 2).

Think there is a huge book something else, but can't remember.

My favourite is FIFI - F*ck It, Fire It! :D (Yes, know it is an ETLA)

3. Pamplet/publication called "Acronyms, Abbreviations, Glossary of Terms and Symbology" on Elec Battlebox if you have a copy!

4. goatbag are you a No.1 cos thats my classic action?

5. Is this really a topic for Staff College?

6. No, am not a No 1.

Works at the box and the pointy end as well though! :D

7. The ETLA I liked the most came from the South African Defence Forces. Suggesting someone was "NAAFI" would describe an individual having "No Ambition & F*ck-all Interest".

8. Well pardon me for addressing an issue which impacts on staff duties in perhaps a light hearted way! There is so much jargon and obfuscation in service drafting/service writing now, that anything which prompts people to think about how they use language should be legitimate in this forum.

Unless I am taking up valuable space which could be filled with back-stabbing, parish notices for Shriv, careerism or up-your-own-backside posturing, in which case I apologise.

9. Apology accepted. Now go away. :wink:

10. Staff College - the practical alternative to working for a living...

The arrogance and intellectual pride is just so amazing, yet the reality is the same old mediocrities learning how to make a very little go a very long way. Camberley at least had a bit of class...

Hope you make the pink list Interceptor, but check your six for daggers at all times; always remembering that a pat on the back could just be a recce for one!

11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

12. Quote "Is this really a topic for Staff College?"

Depends, can you tell me what JFLCC stands for?

13. My favourite is:

MARINE

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essental.

The US Army love this.