Titanic launch 100th anniversary marked in Belfast

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by HHH, May 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HHH

HHH LE

2. About time our wee country who built that engineering feat, started to remember it properly. My Great-Granda was a carpenter on the Titanic and there's still a cabinet made from the wood of the ship knocking about our family somewhere.

Unfortunately the shipyard that built the bloody thing, no longer builds ships.
  3. HHH

HHH LE

What do you think of the new buildings in the Titanic Quarter.

Titanic Belfast building is just a shell, but already it’s awesome - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I think they look good, and it's long overdue,and anything that creates new jobs in the area,is good.
  4. Red 3 is still there, listed, I think!
  5. In my opinion they are a good thing will create more jobs, but I think more could have been done to sell the story of the Titanic and create more tourism. What are we getting 1 museum?

A fella was on the radio a few years back, fat Stephen nolan show and claimed he went to John Majors government at the time and put forward a business plan for the rebuilding of not 1 but 2 Titanic replica's. One would have sat in the River Lagan at the shipyard as a museum and the other would have sailed from Belfast across to Southampton, then Cherbourg, a stop at Queenstown/Cobh, Ireland, then across to New York. He claimed it would have cost 1 billion quid back then to finance the two ships. The government claimed not enough hotel space was available in Belfast and pulled out.

People would have mortgaged their houses to retrace the Titanic's route. I'd have rather seen the 7 billion being partially spent on the ship being rebuilt, that would have been a lasting legacy and then there would have really been a Titanic park.
  6. HMS Caroline are you talking about?
  7. never knew about the plan for replica titanic, your right B&P the yanks and japs would sell first born to do that, IMHO they'd have to turn down bookings
  8. NO! Red 3,..... nice Mural at the Junc. of Dee St. and Newtonards Rd.
  9. HHH

HHH LE

Although, we're lucky to get anything built here, either due to lack of money or political in fighting.
  10. Oh right yes its still there, amazing mural although I think it could do with being repainted to touch it up. 24326502.jpg

The other end of that row of shops, would have been the old UDA headquarters.
  11. Cold shivers down the spine, Mate, had a fair few rounds fired at us down that bloody street, still that was in another life, eh!

RED 3 was the location where the Crane Guard used to overnight, large Brick building to the North of the Crane.
  12. Dee Street or the Newtonards Rd? I remember hearing years ago about a UDA gunman firing on the army, why I don't know, but I believe he took a round that left him paralized down the left hand side.

I grew up off Dee Street, were the railway line runs along the by-pass.
  13. Was the sinking a Shinners plot? Discuss!
  14. Dear,Boy..... the Shooter was firing from the corner in the direction of St Matts at a L/R approaching him, the Army round was fired from the back of the moving L/R at a distance of about 100mts, one shot, head shot, the Soldier was a dead shot, the twat deserved all he got.
  15. Fella I'm on about was shot up towards the Albertbridge Rd/Newtonards Rd junction. Think it was the early 70's around the time a fella got hit by a pig during rioting, believe he was pinned against a wall.