Titanic and Other Ships

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Dukie94, Nov 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've not seen this posted before so I thought I would considering how much I enjoyed it.

It is available free and you can (if you wish) start reading right away!

This is an autobiography by Charles Lightoller whose claim to fame was that he was the highest ranking member of the Titanic crew to survive. He led a remarkable life, the Titanic being just another dramatic episode to add to all the others.

You can read the book here: Titanic and Other Ships

Unfortunately this book was written before his adventures (in retirement) as a skipper of one of the Dunkirk 'little boats'.

An incredible man, an incredible life and an incredible book highly recommended.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

His first-hand account of the sinking clears up a lot of myths.
  3. A good find, thank you for the link.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Played by Kenneth More in "A Night to Remember", a film notable for its extensive use of expensive footage shot on behalf of Josef Goebbels for a propaganda 'blockbuster' which was never shown and which was acquired by the British at the end of the war.
  5. cheers
  6. [​IMG]

I've seen the movie "A Night To Remember" a number of times (loved that Kenneth Moore) but this is the first time that I've heard that some of the footage used in that production was captured Nazi film that was meant to be used in a Dr. Goebbels propaganda blockbuster. Anybody know what the plot of that film was meant to be?
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

bit dusty in here.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I shall rise above your sceptical tone and blame it on your upbringing. Strangely, the Nazis plot was very similar to James Cameron's plot of choice - decadent English etc etc.
  9. Interestingly Lightoller sailed a pleasure cruiser to and from Dunkirk.
  10. Downloaded, converted and sitting on my ebook reader for a future read.

11. There's a very good documentary about the sinking of Cap Arcona called "Typhoons' Last Storm". Grisly stuff, but as one of the Typhoon pilots interviewed said "That's war".

Amazon.com: Typhoons' Last Storm, The-History Undercover [VHS]: History Undercover: Movies & TV

12. Can't remember the book, I'll have to hav a really good thunk later, but there was a 'theory' that the Titanic was actually the Olympic... purposely sunk as a sort of insurance job. Olympic was the elder sister to the Titanic, and the nameship of the Class, but had had naught but bad luck since launch... IIRC the Champagne bottle didn't break on her launch... but I may be wrong, that could have been the Titanic.

The myth was debunked as there were several cosmetic mods made to the Titanic after the Olympic's experience.

Also one of the boats (I think the Titanic) had the Harland and Wolff yard Hull number that read (with a bit of licence) No Pope. Can't remember how it worked, 409093? 360604? Something like that anyway, the predominatly Catholic workforce in Belfast thought it a bad oman.