Tis time ARRSE gets a favikon...

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by BaldricksBullet, Mar 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi CO's etc....

I just put a favikon on my two sites... (the logo to the left of the URL)... it took an hour and put me in the company of ebay, wiki, paypal and a very few others apart from the canadian army forum.

Click here to see my Danish site (if you can see an S to the left of the URL ... that's a favikon... if not try firefox or update your explorer) ... I've done the devil on the 7-62.com site as well. And if you pull the site onto your desktop you get a full size logo hyperlink.

I admit they're not great... but it only took an hour to find out how to do them, make them, and add the html. I'll brush them up soon.

So CO's... how about a potato-head????

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

What, like this one?

[​IMG]

3. Yes exactly like that one...

But I'm not gettting it.... why???

4. Sixty

Do you use BFG's Arrse toolbar? Could be the reason.

5. Rabbit, sockmaster, over the gate, schnuggleflip...

Or in Danish... Fish

Don't know what you're on about. (although an arrse toolbar sounds like Boy George fun)

6. Sixty

Clicky

There you go. Lovely and handy (I use the Firefox one, no clue how functional the IE one is)

7. Got it... but does that mean that I only get the favikon if I've got the toolbar?????

Seriously... I'm sat here on a butt plug in the shape of Gates and I'm still getting nothing... not even a tingling of nothing.

8. Hmm, I get it on some URls but not Arrse? I use XP

9. The toolbar functionality is identical across Firefox & Internet Explorer.
    None of them will affect the favicon display.

I intermittently get it on Internet Explorer - I always get it on Firefox.

I really, extremely, strenuously recommend that everyone gets Firfox now!

10. Can't... lovely furry foxy-woxy is now a protected species... more so than Pte. 25634544.

However... I've got the new explorer and it's got hiccups... so I'm thinking of changing... I use both but find firefox annoyingly slow at startup... the few extra seconds make me boil.

So the question is... does the html need updating? This seems to work all the time: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://example.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

11. Depending on the version of server software running, you should only need to create an image of the correct proportions (16x16 if I recall correctly), name it favicon.ico and upload it to the root accessible folder on the server. It will then appear to the left of the url in whichever browser you are using.

This explains it a little

Ghostie

12. not wishing to moan but today the whos on arrse name list has disapeared from the left to a hodge podge at the bottom,,,i personelly find this ,very hard work when replying to people to see if they are still there,,any chance of putting it back as it was please..

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

14. yep just found it thanks