Tired legs but not out of breath - whats going on?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by EX_STAB, May 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've copied this in from my dull-as-ditchwater Ex_STAB Rehab thread.

What's going on when the leg muscles get tired before I get out of breath? I've set out some thoughts below but I really don't know if this is right from a physiological point of view. I'd really appreciate some informed comment on this and I think there will be others in my position who would welcome it too.

If you are giving an opinion from a professional point of view it would lend weight to your argument if you can indicate what your qualification is.

It's a real puzzle to me so I appreciate your remarks.

2. lactic acid is but onto your muscle when they tire making you want to stop it doesn't matter if your out of breath or not.
  3. I would go with the second this may help to explain Stab

Bit heavy going in places but it will give a possible explanation, though i would have to ask what sort of warm up you are doing?
  4. The page you linked reads well, but, medically speaking, much of it is bullshit.

5. Providing that you are medically fit and well and eat a balanced diet (and I cannot overemphasise the importance of that) - and you seem pretty switched on, one possibility may be your biomechanics (the way your legs are built), this will be exagerated when carring weight as you lean forward.

Basically you have 2 types of muscles - those that move you and those that stabilize you. The movers are big muscles that require a lot of energy for relatively short bursts of power. The stabilizers are crappy little muscles that will happily tick away all day using very little energy holding you upright. If you have a muscle imbalance often the movers compensate for the stabilisers (the little ones are lazy little f****** that will let the big ones do the work), that is not their job and they fatigue very quickly - especially if you ask them to do anything other than stand still.

I suffered from the same problem for many years and it wasn't until I had corrective insoles fitted and some specific muscle balance work that I got out of breath running (a bit of a shock to the system) and able to improve my fitness.

As a physio I have seen lots of paitents with similar problems - it can take a while to undo the problems (as you've been walking/running that way since you were about a year old) but its worth looking into. If nothing else you can tick it off your list.

See your MO/physio and ask them to check your walking/running gait to see.

Bit long winded but hope it helps.
  6. One of the things people tend to neglect mentioning in all this talk about exercise is the fact that one of the major factors in allowing the muscles to take on more burden is a growth and extension of the vascular network. We've all seen the prominent veins in the arms and legs of athletes and bodybuilders.

I'm not saying that this is so in your case, EX_STAB, but from your description, it seems to me that you've the ability to pull in enough oxygen but it's not getting to your muscles in sufficient quantity to enable you to carry out your exercises. Low impact training on particular muscle-groups should remedy the situation.

The basic principle is: heavy weights will increase the strength of your muscles, while lighter weights (and a corresponding increase in the number of sets and reps) will give your muscles more stamina, i.e. promote vascular network growth, thus ensuring a sufficient supply of oxygen to them.

Consider the build of a long-distance runner in comparison to a sprinter.

Oops! Edited to add. Bugsy - ex-RAMC and athletic trainer.
  7. Thanks for those comments guys. I'll re-read a few times and think it through. I 've actually pulled a calf muscle so have been resting it this week. I actually have quite muscular legs from doing a lot of swimming as a youth but of course without continued exercise they're just big muscles that are out of condition. I suppose the same would go for the circulatory system....

I don't have access to a gym - (there is one but it's silly money) what leg exercises would be worth doing without complicated or expensive equipment?

I can go back to doing some cycling instead of running for a while.

Cheers for the help.
  8. Basis squats and lunges are great leg strengtheners, start with your own body weight then add in hand weights if you have them, if not small back back on (not bergen more daysack size) and good old tins of beans.
    Watch your posture and squeeze your buttocks when you get back to the top.
    Heel raises in standing, same idea with weight (wait till your calf feels a bit better though).
    follow the tips bugsy gave you and you should see some difference.
    These are a good start, if you want to advance on them most book shops carry a million and one home exercise books and DVD's that use very little equipment - look one out that focuses on strengthening - as an added bonus they usually have lots of buff ladies in tight lycra in them!!!
  9. Just come across this so apologies if too late. Have you tried deep tissue sports massage on your legs? A massive issue that can influence the muscles when working is a reduction in oxygen supply due to various reasons. Deep tissue massage will help clear out a lot of waste from the muscle and break down scar tissue thus helping the tissue be more effective. A few sessions will work wonders but WILL hurt like a mofo when they get in deep. Make sure if you are going to give it a go that they have a good background of working in sports, a lot of people can call themselves sports masseurs/therapists but have no practical experience, and you should really get the best for your money. hope it works out for you!

10. You're telling me - just had my first one today, and it hurt like hell - I nearly flew off the bed!!!
  11. Loads of water and a really hot bath followed by a good stretching session will ease it. a few sessions and you will feel fantastic! stick with it.