Tips to improve CFT pace

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chemystery, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody offer any tips on how to quicken my pace on a CFT. My current time is shite but I find it hard to move my legs any quicker without running.
  2. Then run.

I'm a short arrse and deliberately go to the back so I can jog when it suits without upsetting the pace of guys behind me.
  3. You walk on a CFT?
  4. [​IMG]

use the search button and search for the 1000's of other treads about fckin running

hope you find that useful
  5. Thanks for the response speedybham but I do believe this is the Health and Fitness forum and I think I've asked a valid question that I have not seen posted in this forum during the 2/3 years I've been a member.

I appreciate there are many threads on improving running but, as I'm sure you're aware, the CFT is predominantly a quick paced march broken up by some jogging.

My question was are there any tips to improve my pace or technique to help.
  6. There was a theory that you could train your neurological (sp?) system to take more steps per unit of time by tapping your feet mentally fast on the spot for 20-30 seconds. 400m runners used to do this. Based on the observation that most people have a stride frequency, they speed up using longer strides, if you can take more in the time maybe you could go faster.

I have my doubts. My guess would be that taking very fast steps walking is probably best trained for by taking very fast steps walking :D

I was always good at speedmarching because I've got a ridiculously long thigh in relation to my height. Annoyingly, however, if you try a heart rate monitor you can prove to yourself that often a shuffle jog is more economical - 4.5mph is about the break even point. Walking has a lower rate of perceived exertion ("Hey, at least we aren't f'kin running") but often the physiological effort goes down if you shuffle. Real ministry of silly walks stuff isn't actually that economical.
  7. Well you could practice a couple of times a week. Run the other days oh and grab a spine while your at it from the stores. Learn to tab ie lengthen and quicken your pace.
  8. What do you think is the problem? Is it the weight ? (Are you Inf or Corps?) Or do you just have short legs?

I'd say regular practice is your best bet. A half hours fast walk once or twice a week where you concentrate on increasing your pace and tempo is bound to help come CFT time. If the weight is the problem stick a daysack full of heavy stuff on your back.

9. I am a dwarf with the longer leg than the average chap for my size. Plyometric training can help. Google it. It will expand your stride and walking gait. Hope this helps.
  10. please forgive my previous post...i know these problems can seem fustrating, anyway...

I dont think theres any secrets, just a case of practice...however...

If you say your time is $hite are you falling behind badly?
    If you are falling behind, when does it start to happen?
  11. Walk faster , increase your turnover of steps per minute while gradually lengthening your stride, concentrate on the back (power) part of the stride. Not saying that's the be all and end all way, but hey, it works for me :D
  12. The problem is that I have short legs. I have recently started going out a couple of times a week to 'practice' and I'm sure with time I'll get better. There doesn't appear to be any secret techniques to this other than walk quicker.
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Or jog.

In days of old....I used to be an A MFC, and my Bravo was about 18" shorter than me. I walked everywhere - he jogged!