Tips on cleaning a rifle

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by luvly_jubbly, Apr 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any time saving cheeky ways of cleaning a rifle? On exercise next week and looking to get a few items to clean it quicker as this is our exercise half way!
  2. Don't fire it.
    • Like Like x 11
  3. I always carried a scrap of one of those green scouring pads used for washing up (it often comes fixed to a sponge, but of course you tear it off that!)

Depends how closely the DS are watching you and what view they take on non-standard cleaning stuff. We were "discouraged" from using anything but what was in the official cleaning kit.
  4. What he said, and wrap it up in cling-film and bury it under your Basher.

Nitromors is excellent for cleaning the plastic parts.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Take it into the shower with you.

Put it in the dish washer.

Dry and oil afterwards.

Of course these may not be much use when you are sitting in a hole in the ground but never mind that :)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Piss down the barrel, swirl it round and empty it.

It was good enough for Sharpe so it's good enough for you.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Take a rag for cleaning loose carbon, saves using a strip of flannelette, buy a small wire brush, the one in the cleaning kit is usually fucked, a small long handled nylon brush will help get crud out of hard to reach areas. A little pot that you can fill with oil and soak your gas parts will be handy. A bit of string can help get carbon out of the ridge in the gas plug.

...And dont forget to get a big tin of elbow grease from LIDL.
  8. Yes, I had a decent wire brush and a little cloth for the reasons mentioned above. I recall one day weapon cleaning, one lad used a too big piece of flannelette down the barrell, which became stuck as he tried to pull it though. Another lad held the weapon while he held the pull-through with both hands. That didnt work. Eventually, four of us, one holding the weapon, one the pull-through, and two with their arms around their waists managed to free the flannelette. You can be sure the barrel was clean after that.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. All very well, but I've seen that result in the pull-through snapping!
  10. Get yourself a bore snake use That instead of a pull through.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bore snake. Concur.

Also replace the shitty ox24 with something decent like Napier gun oil. You can even get it in a handy webbing size aerosol.

Other gucci stuff:

Dentist's tool set.

Air in an aerosol (the sort for cleaning computer keyboards) is also good for getting dust out of nooks and crannies. Obviously an HP air line would be better but I doubt there are many kicking around Sennybridge.
  12. Didn't they teach you clean them correctly during basic? If they did then THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT.

But you can always try and get your mates to help - that's what they do in the Navy...

Isn't it great how the electronic marvel of the internet is so often used for effin' bone questions....

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Give it to a nig while you have a brew.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. use it, throw it away and get your insurance company to buy you a new one.

All the cool kids are doing it
  15. Petrol and a small paint brush , finish of with a pull through and cotton buds, but dont get caught doing it.

You can use the same method for cleaning your cock.
    • Like Like x 1