Tips for training (1.5 mile run)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Underwood_Para, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, first off I would like to apologise as I am new to this and don't know if I've posted in the right place.

I am seeking advice on how to get my run time down to around the 9 minutes mark on the road. I can hit 9 minutes at a struggle on a treadmill, but I've only ever managed between 10mins and 10mins 30secs on the roads. My route includes varied terrain of road, dirt, grass and I've also thrown in two hill climbs and one descent just for good measure. I know my run time is good enough for most jobs, but I have my heart set on the parachute regiment (hence my gay username) and my recruiter is behind me all the way and says I shouldn't settle for anything less.

I've tried a lot for the past 6 months trying to get fit enough. I'm currently doing fartlek training, hill sprints, circuit training, 5km+ runs and dieting (intermittent fasting, hitting macros of c40-p40-f20). It's helped me thus far and I feel amazing and full of energy just like I should do. I only test myself on the 1.5m ever two weeks and it has remained the same for the past 4 runs.

I think the problem is not being able to judge my speed, or I may not be fully adapted to running (I only started running outdoors in june as I literally built myself up from not being able to run for more than 5 minutes without stopping). I have my pre-selection at the start of September and I would really like to pass it first time but I won't get upset if I don't. I've just been stuck on this time for a month now.

So if anybody has some decent advice, or knows something I haven't tried I would be very grateful. Thanks a lot if you spared the time to read my post, sorry again if it's in the wrong place.

2. Use the search function and stickies. It's all there for you to read.

3. Less fasting - more fried breakfasts. That seems to be where you're going wrong.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.