Tips for AOSB

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by tropic_ana, Jun 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to attend my AOSB briefing next spring, with the intention to move on to main board in the Summer,

I've already attended a Sixth Form Scholarship board, but unfortunately failed it as my medical was deffered on fitness grounds (my BMI was supposedly too high)

I'm looking for some advice from people who have gone through it or shared tips from people who are about to go through it soon.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved!

2. Seeing as you have already attended the scholarship competition, what tips would you give to others? Thank you.

3. I have mine next week.
    Be sure you can pass the phys test.
    Have a lecturette ready and be bold, don't talk to fast.
    Understand how the world of politics, philosophy and economics works so you can hold your own in any group discussion/interview.
    If you have had any opportunities to practice command tasks in a group that will really show

Sent from my GT-N7105 using ARRSE mobile app

4. So is it part of the test to do a speech? I have been told barely anything!

5. Yes, the joining instructions are terrible, whoever wrote them should rethink themselves.

5 minute speech on a hobby/interest.

It should flow quite nicely once you start talking as long as you know where you are going with it.
    Top tip for that bit is to speak slowly and clearly. It stinks of confidence and professionalism.

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Do remember that advice from people who are undergoing assessment isn't necessarily the best advice. Read through the threads here, stop and think.

7. Is it necessary to take notes on a speech or is it supposed to be more of a 'spur of the moment' thing? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

8. Prepare the lecturette and make sure it is structured with a start middle and end, but in my experience you wont be able to use notes, so commit it to memory as best you can in the time available! Pick a subject you know inside out and give yourself mental milestones to stay on track, don't deviate from the plan and start waffling! Be prepared to answer questions on the subject afterwards.

9. Ok, that's great thank you.

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

For the lecturette at the Main Board you are given a choice of five subjects, selected by one of the assessors and then have 15 minutes to prepare it. You can use notes when you are speaking if you need to. You do not do a lecturette at the Briefing or for the Scholarship/Welbeck Boards.

11. Thanks CPunk, it surprised me a bit when I saw that because I hadn't been told about it or read it anywhere.