Tintin books are racist....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by frog_face, Jul 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An equality group is campaigning to get a Tintin book banned. The Commision for Racial Equality says Tintin in the Congo should be banned and taken off the shelf.

I don't think it should, where will it end, if we take away books that offend then our libraries would be empty (not that the next generation can read mind, thanks to this government). Religious books offend other religions, where does the line stop? I imagine a bombfire filled with books, Nazi censorship style.

I am not Alf Garnett or anything but we should keep available our media and history without editing it to cause less offence (more and more of our comedies from the seventies and eighties and nineties are being edited so they don't cause offence, such as Only Fools and Horses and Bottom). Surely people have a mind of their own and can judge for themselves!
  2. ive got some of the original enid blyton 'gollywog' books. OK so i dont read them to my little boy, but they are staying on the shelf! these books were written a long time ago, and must be seen from that context
  3. The CRE is an 'interesting' organisation.None of their senior people seem to be white,anglo saxon protestants.Is this organisation also 'racist?'
  4. Exactly WB, if we censor bits from the past then people from future generations will believe that we always lived in a PC world (not the computer store!) and, ironically, people may even think that racism never existed because there is no evidence of it in literature on the shelves. I think people, generally, are smart enough, I hope, to see it in that context in time.

The Tintin books have been around for years and it seems a coincidence that this is happening when there are major hollywood movies being made about Tintin's stories (Peter Jackson and Spielberg co-making I think), maybe a case of jumping on the bandwagon even before the bandwagon sets off?
  5. After reading this headline, I'm beginning to worry about some of the people who live in this country. This was/is a kids book from 30yrs ago when peoples concept of life, and in particular "The Dark Continent" was totally different to todays. This book is a harmless piece of fiction, the author has already apologised for it and now it is just a piece of history. I don't see a lot of complaints about footage of the 60's race riots and the way people were beaten just for being a different colour, there's no "you can't show that black man being beaten" even from the black community or the CRE. It's a piece of history that shows how life and people's thinking has changed for the better and that's how this book should be viewed. Banning books will just lead to all kinds of problems as there is bound to be something in this world that will offend someone, somewhere, sometime.
  6. "He who controls the Past, controls the present, who controls the present controls the future", orwell.

as we all know, history is written by the victors. Perhaps theres some guilt hiding behind these PC inclinations...

If we erase this from history, then exactly what do we use as examples for teaching right from wrong?

even my missus is on the PC bandwaggon :D she veto'd my naming our new black puppy as a tribute to Guy Gibson and 617sqn...
  7. Trevor Phillips has already made a few gaffes in speeches that if made by a caucasian would be classed as racist and inflammatory.
  8. While this comment would probably be better suited to a NAAFI conversation, my view about the CRE demanding that books are banned is nothing to snigger at.

Next thing I know I will have to surrender my Robertson's Marmalade Boy Scout gollywog.
  9. I'm going to complain about Shakespeare, too, then. The Merchant of Venice is anti-Semitic, and loads of his plays are racially questionable by todays standards.

Let's also demolish all Grade 1 listed buildings as they can't comply with current fire regulations. I'm sorry Your Majesty, but because Tintin was rude to Africans you'll have to wait 30 years for a council house.

Fcucking nobs.
  10. The only thing that needs banning is the CRE.

What does it actually do to help?

As for the book.

Surely many did talk like imbeciles then, they were not even 3rd world yet, and still living in the dark ages. How many would be able to speak English.

ALthough at least they could speak English, no matter how badly, seeing as Tin Tin can't speak their language. He would probably sound imbecilic trying to talk the local language, but then the book would be unreadable.

Obviously a man with far too much time on his hands, I was quite offended when I found that "Barefoot Soldier" was on the same shelf as other biographies of such "esteemed" people as the beckhams, jordan, pete docherty and others. But I didn't write to all and sundry.

Seriously though in, what, 1960's? Even now, can you honestly say that a some white children are more intelligent and civilised than some black adults?

That not one single black person would make a dog their king? Or have similar crazy beliefs?

1994, and the hutus "cut down the tall grass" (a reference to the average Tutsi being taller than an average hutu). 800,000 killed in a few months.

Surely this is more offensive than "Tin Tin in the Congo".

Or the amount of faith still placed in the local holy men or "witch doctors" who believe that intercourse with a virgin (in particular babies/young children) will cure HIV/AIDS?

I am sure that Mr and Mrs Enright could find other things to be upset about, in Africa, than a book written 30 odd years ago.

And the CRE.

I am not saying "Tin Tin in the Congo" is some sort of reference matierial, but it displays what europeans thought of the Dark Continent* in those days, and should not be censored.

*Even this is considered raciest now!!!!

Now apparently seen as a reference to the colour of the inhabitants skin.

Why are our standards being set by morons who don't understand the origin of certain things?

Oh that's why because they keep banning books!!!!
  11. Noddy should be banned too. It is offensive to give his colleague the name "B**g E**rs", just because he has protruding Audio Orifices.

And his car doesn't display a tax disc.
  12. Especially the one where the gollywog gang was portrayed as the hoodies of Toytown. Can't have true life accurately portrayed in children's fiction, can we?
  13. We live in a sad sad world...............Oh dont upset them..............I ve got two nigerian engineers on this site.........they speak absolute bollox...... i will be off hireing one next week for being a lying cnut......and lazy.....i am i a racist? not a fcuking chance......... he's fcuking usless thats a fact
  14. Don't forget the Asterix series - plenty of racial stereotypes there. Why, even the ancient Brits are shown as tea-drinking aggressively moustached politely queueing umbrella wielding barbarians with plus fours.

And the scenes of violence, regular use of performance enhancing drugs, militarism, imperial aggression, and worst of all, written by 2 Frenchmen...

Burn 'em all!
  15. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

It just shows that it is these people, who are the narrow minded bigots, who cannot take something for the context it is written in. Fcuk off and cry into your skinny mocha locha latte, or whatever you drink you pompous little fcuk-face