Tinned Fruit Curry .

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have made (and eaten) many a curry over the years which have contained fruit either during the making or as a garnish
But never eaten one where the main ingredient was fruit of one variety or another

"Tinned Fruit Curry"?

There's some right wrong 'uns on this site.
Snickers sauce: Drop a snickers in a saucepan, gently warm till it all melts. Then pour over selected dessert ...... I cannot be responsible for your choice of dessert. I like it poured on pancakes, or ice cream, or chocolate pudding....................I'm peckish now.

Mars bar works too, never tried a milky way, but in principle it should work.

Snickers sauce: Drop a snickers in a saucepan, gently warm till it all melts. Then pour over selected dessert ...... I cannot be responsible for your choice of dessert. I like it poured on pancakes, or ice cream, or chocolate pudding....................I'm peckish now.

Do you leave the batter on?

No, it would have been Tudor. They had a massive variety of flavours. Wife still pines for pickled onion.
Ah, I remember Tudor crisps, and the adverts - like the rocket, and the lighthouse down by Whitley Bay... ahhh good times. Pickled onion and the crispy bacon flavoured were my favourites.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
if anyone is near a saffa deli or biltong shop, see if they do fruit chutney Cheas Naks. your tastebuds will thank me.

It sounds very much like 1960s mums' idea of a curry, which was basically a sort of fruit salad with some meat, flavoured with Bolst's curry powder and with an accompaniment of desiccated coconut, sliced banana, hard boiled eggs and maybe some toasted almond flakes.

To think that we once had an empire.

I used to get selections of chocs and sweets at Christmas from various relatives. I binged. It didn't do my teeth any good. Mars, Topic, Marathon, Cadbury's (decades before Kraft ruined them). Very resistant to such stuff now.
Must admit the choc in some winter rations I had on a long walk was ace, whereas commercial stuff was sugary and sickly. Have to say, Aldi choc, although I have to ration it, is very good indeed.

I remember the product (not the manufacturer though). Primarily stewed apples, pears(?) and sultanas with a very gentle dash of curry powder. I used to take it on my walks on the moors in 1973ish - I was into tinned fruit as it meant there was no need to carry a stove.
Sounds familiar chunks of pineapple

CFB

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have to say, Aldi choc, although I have to ration it, is very good indeed.
Since I was diagnosed with anaemia 18 months ago, Zero Alpha insists I eat a small portion of dark chocolate daily (along with a lot of other stuff that she had found through Google that helps the iron count. Nothing that I wouldn't eat anyway, just stuff we've forgotten to eat down the years. The anaemia is gone and I'm back on course for 100 blood donations, thank you).

Lidl have an amazing selection of top quality dark chocolates at prices other supermarkets (stand fast Aldi) and mainstream chocolate manufacturers can only dream of.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sounds familiar chunks of pineapple

CFB
Zero Alpha's favourite curry is pork and pineapple. She does the bulk of preparing the slow -cooked meal, so I don't argue.

Couple of chillis fresh from the plant, fried up and added to mine, it's a very nice meal.

Sounds as succesful as the kipper crisps that were briefly trialled in the North East in the early '70's.
There was a tuna biltong you could get in SA at one time. I enjoyed it and would buy it if it were still in production. Bokkems are the other fish biltong, using mullet salted and air dried. Quite pleasant but preferred the tuna.

As for fruit curries, Mrs Balls peach and jalapeno chutney would seem to fall into that category, although it's more of a condiment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Provost Cookery 43
Egg Banjo Cookery 23
oldmanron Weapons, Equipment & Rations 186