Tinned Fruit Curry .

Not Compo. Shop bought. When I was single and lived in a hut by an airfield. Bought it from some local shop in West Midlands. Really good and muck cheap. Never seen since 1976,ish.
Any ideas what brand it may have been and is it still obtainable.

CFB

Not Compo. Shop bought. When I was single and lived in a hut by an airfield. Bought it from some local shop in West Midlands. Really good and muck cheap. Never seen since 1976,ish.

CFB
By tinned fruit curry do you mean curry with apples and sultanas in it or just fruit in curry and no meat?

"Tinned Fruit Curry"?

There's some right wrong 'uns on this site.

Sounds as succesful as the kipper crisps that were briefly trialled in the North East in the early '70's.
Gerrout of it! They never were!.
were they? Strewth....
( i would utterly buy at least one packet, mind)

Gerrout of it! They never were!.
were they? Strewth....
( i would utterly buy at least one packet, mind)

Might be the same outfit that brought out hedgehog flavoured crisps, a limited production run, done for a charity stunt, until some jobsworth complained to the RSPCA, who had it binned, there are some thin lipped tight arsed miserable shits in the world.

Sharwoods were doing odd tinned curries then.

It seems that jackfruit and breadfruit curries are available though you would have to try a "world" food shop or other importer. There seem to be quite a few recipes for making curry with tinned fruit.

Might be the same outfit that brought out hedgehog flavoured crisps, a limited production run, done for a charity stunt, until some jobsworth complained to the RSPCA, who had it binned, there are some thin lipped tight arsed miserable shits in the world.
No, it would have been Tudor. They had a massive variety of flavours. Wife still pines for pickled onion.

No, it would have been Tudor. They had a massive variety of flavours. Wife still pines for pickled onion.
Funnily enough the flavour I associate with Tudor crisps is gammon.

It exists as a recipe ( for nut jobs )

Hot Curried Fruit
I think fruit is more common in Malaysian curries which tend to be mild?
Bananas tend to counteract the effect of chillies. I do use fruit in curries sometimes, as I did yesterday but not normally on it's own.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

CFB
I remember the product (not the manufacturer though). Primarily stewed apples, pears(?) and sultanas with a very gentle dash of curry powder. I used to take it on my walks on the moors in 1973ish - I was into tinned fruit as it meant there was no need to carry a stove.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Provost Cookery 43
Egg Banjo Cookery 23
oldmanron Weapons, Equipment & Rations 186