Tinman Walt

Got a mate who had Pancreatic cancer diagnosed a few months ago on top of heart issues (pacemaker fitted last year). He had 2 rounds of chemo and could not take any more. His verdict -- it might have been doing some good but I felt like I wanted to die.

He is on a palliative care regime and staying remarkably cheerful.

End ded? Pain under control? Happy Christmas!

Pilonidal sinuses are a bastard. As so many have alluded, it is an ingrowing hair thing. Sometimes possible to pull it out but most often it is to lay the wound open after surgery and let it close naturally. Of course the proximity to the chocolate starfish means a risk of faecal infection.

Makes me want to brillo pad my crack. And my scrotum. Not for the same reasons you understand.
In spite of the serious matters discussed on here, I had to laff at your second sentence. Thanks for lightening the mood. I'm pretty sure Taffd got a chuckle out of it too. ;-):thumright:

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Had a PIP assessment the other day, a woman came to the house; not too sure how it went but I always get the feeling whenever remission is mentioned that other people think, 'oh, you're better then, you should be doing . . . whatever'.

Not the case. If I just had the myeloma I might be up and doing and feeling great but with my comorbidities, I've not had a 'feelin' good' moment for over 20 months. Most of the time I've been slightly below neutral with lots of periods of feelin' shit and lately the feeling shit has been increasing in duration and occurrence. I feel ill all the time and less able. It's to be hoped that things might improve after the op on the 6th Nov.

Notably, since the iron infusion, my Hgb has gone up to 144, in the normal range for the first time in over 3 years. The only thing I've noticed is a slight difference in the cognitive impairment. A change of 1 level on any scale you might use; noticeable but little different. Effectively it means that there's 'thoughts' in my head, imaginary conversations, if you will, with myself or others that wouldn't quite meet the criteria for pondering or abstract thought. Maybe the slightest lessening of losing words. All this means is that anaemia was not the sole cause of the impairment. Ongoing 'chemo brain' and meds I suspect, are the main cause.

An added thing is my joints are becoming more stiff and painful. I've had systemic arthralgia (joint pain) for many years but it's been largely kept in check by the meds. Breaking through a lot more recently though and I always wake up in pain, unable to move at first.

Anyway, enough of that shit; that was just for the record. The best news is the amazing strides I've taken with my banjo. Causes pain to play it as its heavy, for me, but . . .

I decided to take it up again after a stoppage of about 18 months. Brainfuckery meant that I've forgotten the songs I like and when I remember one, I can't remember the words. Anyway, the first time I picked it up I'd forgotten how to play and I was only a beginner previously.

Thank the gods for muscle memory, they remembered. Within a few moments I was repicking and within the first practise had recalled chord positions.

I was working with a blank canvas, so decided to find a song I didn't know and learn how to play it and with each session learn something new - a new lick, a new roll etc. I also practised the few tunes I'd had imbedded, albeit not accomplished.

I decided I'd keep practise slow, doing things 'correctly', so I wasn't practising mistakes.

I found a tutorial site I liked with about 20 songs, each with a video that took you through 2 bars at a time, had downloadable tab and a practise backing track for each, at 3 speeds.

A lot of bluegrass sounds samish, mostly being in G and using only a few chord progressions, so I picked on one that appealed, that stood out from the rest. 'Blue Ridge Cabin Home'. The words are dire and I've no interest in them. 16 bars and a finish, there's 136 individual notes picked in less than a minute.

Anyway, after about 5 weeks, I had a breakthrough a few nights ago. While playing it through repeatedly, the melody started to come through, phrase by phrase until suddenly, everything clicked and the melody, in my head, came through entirely and all the extra notes just filled in where and how they were supposed to. And it was repeatable, although not fully every time. Very, very satisfying.

Next day's practise, it was initially back to playing the notes again but the melody came through once again, once my fingers had warmed up. It's the nature of bluegrass to make mistakes or fall out of the pattern but a time or two, I did, and was able to recover without breaking the flow or making the whole sound wrong.

This concentrating on one unknown song, while practising every other thing I knew or remembered, and learning one extra little thing, everyday for a couple of hours at least, has seen me make huge advances.

I didn't know what chord inversions were until two days ago, but I've been practising them since I learnt the chords originally. I can read tab for the bottom of the neck and follow it in real time for a familiar tune. Up the neck I have to work it out.

In a lot of bluegrass playing, probably in all playing, for all stringed instruments, full chords aren't always used. I was having trouble remembering and then fingering one two-bar lick, until I realised it was actually part of a D chord, when it became instantly doable.

This is probably all egg sucking for guitarists or other stringed instrument players but revelatory for me. I think the new fluency will lead to faster learning in the future

My best to all

Ent ded
The definition of a gentleman? A man who has a banjo, but doesn't play it!

I honestly don't think bravery's a thing here; bravery is being afraid and doing a thing regardless, whereas people who are ill have no choice in the matter. My apparent notgivingafuckness seems to be just the way I am, with the added help of the brainfuckery meaning I have an inbuilt inability to give much of a shit. Maybe it's just laziness and caring requires too much effort. There've certainly been times when I've been emotional, although they were transitory.

Hope you've got your pain under control.
Oh yes most definitely - morphine is like smarties, my GP is brilliant. All good but just sad not to be here for the kids in the future. They'll be fine, but I would have liked to see how the grandchildren turned out.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Pilonidal sinuses are a bastard. As so many have alluded, it is an ingrowing hair thing. Sometimes possible to pull it out but most often it is to lay the wound open after surgery and let it close naturally. Of course the proximity to the chocolate starfish means a risk of faecal infection.

Makes me want to brillo pad my crack. And my scrotum. Not for the same reasons you understand.

Out of interest, why is it one can have bleeding piles or cracks in the old dartboard and yet they don't get infected?

Definitely gen, although that very first post is not entirely accurate. Myeloma's actually a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. The plasma cells make immunoglobins, which are part of our acquired immune system. In my case. the plasma cells which produce the IgG immunoglobin have their DNA damaged by whatever and produce a 'paraprotein' which crowds out all the other blood cells but is itself, no use as an immunoglobin. My own understanding was a bit lacking in the early stages.

The thread documents my various conditions over time, partly as a record, partly to get it into the open and draw the sting, for me and others and partly because it might benefit somebody else.

I posted here rather than a 'cancer' forum in order to get an ARRSE response. The robustitudiness of response has been a spirit-lifter and demonstrates what to many, having served is all about.

I'll be forever grateful.
@Taffd . Sorry for my idiotic comment/ suggestion. Please accept my apologies.

I've lost a cousin to lymphoma last year, so I don't joke around cancer (or any ailment for that matter).

It's really good that you're discussing this in the open and sharing your experiences. Hopefully, it will help someone else here and they draw some strength from your posts.

Hope you're doing well.

@Taffd . Sorry for my idiotic comment/ suggestion. Please accept my apologies.

I've lost a cousin to lymphoma last year, so I don't joke around cancer (or any ailment for that matter).

It's really good that you're discussing this in the open and sharing your experiences. Hopefully, it will help someone else here and they draw some strength from your posts.

Hope you're doing well.
As said above, forget about it. And joke about it as much and as often as you can. We ent ded yet.

My condolences on your loss.

Got a mate who had Pancreatic cancer diagnosed a few months ago on top of heart issues (pacemaker fitted last year). He had 2 rounds of chemo and could not take any more. His verdict -- it might have been doing some good but I felt like I wanted to die.

He is on a palliative care regime and staying remarkably cheerful.

End ded? Pain under control? Happy Christmas!
Aye, pancreatic's a bastard, my mother died of that, 4 months from diagnosis to ded.

Out of interest, why is it one can have bleeding piles or cracks in the old dartboard and yet they don't get infected?
Ooh, I've got them as well, though they don't bleed now. Had some of them hacked off, some banded and I'm using a different bottom now apart from leaking a bit of mucous. Itchyasfuck but vastly satisfying to scratch. At one time I was losing about half a pint a day and had 7 units transfused. And I was still anaemic.

Oh yes most definitely - morphine is like smarties, my GP is brilliant. All good but just sad not to be here for the kids in the future. They'll be fine, but I would have liked to see how the grandchildren turned out.
You ent ded yet mate, just keep on going.

Know what you mean about the grandkids, they're a joy aren't they? I've got another one coming within the next 2 weeks.

You ent ded yet mate, just keep on going.

Know what you mean about the grandkids, they're a joy aren't they? I've got another one coming within the next 2 weeks.
Congratulations that is brilliant news. We don't have any yet that we know of :D life is definitely too short, make the most of every day lovely. If anyone is fed up and stuck indoors, you could do worse than catch up with Friday night dinner on Channel 4 it's flipping funny will find linky

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W The NAAFI Bar 147
MrMemory Waltenkommando 3
T Charities and Welfare 28