Tinman Walt

I seem to remember a few years ago one of the TV doctors, that breakfast/daytime TV rolls out, stating that if you have an 'old' instant and you think that you may have the onsets of dementia then you actually don't. His logic being that dementia works in such a way that it eats away at you and you don't actually notice it yourself. Other close friends and family will but you won't.

Not speaking from experience mind you as I have all my, erm, things. You know what I mean.
Interesting and possibly the case.

The stuff I mentioned can/does have a physical effect on the brain with shrinkage in various areas and stuff, so some effects will be similar to dementia of one sort or another but with different causes and different courses and outcomes.

I need to be looked at apparently, to ensure that there's not some sort of dementia going on aside from the otherwise caused cognitive impairment. A nurse told me the other day that there's some quite sophisticated testing that can be done.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nope it shows my arrse and I like to keep that we'll covered

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Got the CT scan results today. When I said 'Hello, how are you?' to the doc, she replied, 'Not as bad as you.' Good start.

No signs of any masses that would indicate another cancer and nothing to explain my anaemia. Although it was an abdominal scan, it showed the bottom of the lungs, which showed chronic inflammation. Possibly part of the COPD or possibly to do with previously known pleural thickening, one of the signs of asbestos exposure. (RN)

Pancreas is described as meagre but fucknose what that means; the doc didn't seem to know either. Benign tumour on left kidney, small and not growing. Gallstones. 10 cm stricture of the bowel, a couple of cms into my stoma and behind it, a bowel full of shit.

So although the stoma's still working, the shit needs to be more liquid to ensure free passage.

Conservative management as a first option - a change of laxative, taken more often and see how things go. While the stricture won't get better, conservative management may be sufficient to stabilise things and go forward.

If the stricture and associated discomfort/pain gets worse or if the output stops or if I can no longer cope with prolonged use of laxatives, then another major op's in order. They seem reluctant to operate, given previous surgery and comorbidities.

If output stops though, there'll be no choice as it becomes life-threatening and can involve vomiting shit, when things start working backwards.

No mention of parastomal hernias but apparently they wouldn't really show up on a CT scan very well.

All in all, my daughter, who went with me, and the doc, seemed much more concerned than I was or am. Brainfuckedness is for winners. And the ent ded. Which is me. Which is nice.

Keep well everybody.

Well, Sunday, midnight, a loud fart, then nothing. No output.

0500 Monday morning extreme pain, nausea, bloated - obviously a blockage. No time to wait for ambulance, taken by daughter to A&E. Seen straight away, IV fluids and paracetamol and transferred to ward. After doc's rounds, catheterised via stoma which relieved some trapped wind and doc managed to suction about 3 bagfulls worth of shit. Pain starts to reduce and bag put on with catheter left in situ.

Changed ward and passed to my GI team.

Will find out about op tomorrow but up to now, there seems to be some sort of plan to send me home first which is causing some concern. Questions need answering.

I'm in a room with a man who keeps trying to get out of bed who's had some sort of bollock op and is insisting he's been castrated. And about 10 last night we had a newcomer who's been screaming in pain ever since.

In other news, my daughter showed me a video she'd made as a Father's Day/Birthday prezzy, showing phots and vids of me through the ages with my kids and grandkids at various stages of their lives.

She'd introduced it with a personal thank you message that would work equally as a eulogy.

I cried like a fuckin' baby, as did a couple of sons who've seen it.

Life doesn't get better than moments like these.

When I get the chance, I'll post the missive bit.

Pipes cleared and out of hozzy today. Am on a soup or sloppy diet with shitloads of laxatives to give a liquid output.

Pre-med lung/heart/muscle function testing on Monday, then clinic to decide a course of action.

Ent ded.

Pipes cleared and out of hozzy today. Am on a soup or sloppy diet with shitloads of laxatives to give a liquid output.

Pre-med lung/heart/muscle function testing on Monday, then clinic to decide a course of action.

Ent ded.
Hopefully you'll give a shit before too long. :wink:

Ent ded.
You must be a complete walt because you aren't half as brainfucked as Damanbugs. ;)

@Taffd You don't do dying the easy way, do you! Joking aside, glad that you're still with us and reading your journey, really puts things into perspective. I'm in next Monday for a bit of my neck to be cut out, as I apparently have a form of skin cancer. Luckily, it's benign and I am a sun dodger anyway, Freaked my wife out, as after her cancer, any mention of it and it's always a negative feel for her. Me? Couldn't care less and will be happy after it's done.

Keep us updated and glad that yer ent ded yet.

@Taffd You don't do dying the easy way, do you! Joking aside, glad that you're still with us and reading your journey, really puts things into perspective. I'm in next Monday for a bit of my neck to be cut out, as I apparently have a form of skin cancer. Luckily, it's benign and I am a sun dodger anyway, Freaked my wife out, as after her cancer, any mention of it and it's always a negative feel for her. Me? Couldn't care less and will be happy after it's done.

Glad it appears to be relatively minor and hope it stays such for you. Head and neck cancers can get particularly horrible side effects from treatment. And your wife's feelings are common; fear of cancer returning is widespread. Again, I'm lucky in that respect, my wife and kids have all the stress.

It's odd how other people's illnesses/conditions always seem worse than our own; it's noticeable on a few cancer sites that I visit.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

My aunt recently had a nasty "thingy" on her shoulder. Had it removed and got biopsy report last week stating "fast growing BENIGN tumour". (?otherwise known as "rodent ulcer" I believe). Anyway, all done and dusted. Hope yours is the same.

But you ARE full of shit sometimes. :D
Most of the time. I even talk it.

Hadn't had any output all day since about 0600, Thought it all might be happening again.

Then what seemed to be just a bit of a wet fart turned into fuckmethebag'sfull a couple of seconds later. This at about 0330. Good job I was still awake. Bed saved.

Still, one or two moments of diaheehihay a day is better than continuous slower output.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
XPara Mugg The NAAFI Bar 9
W The NAAFI Bar 147
T Charities and Welfare 28