Tinman Walt

I've been telling medicos for over 20 years that I had a physical blockage. Had somebody accepted this and done a scan, my mass would have been discovered. Maybe it would have been operable if found sooner.

My own GP admitted that I'd been right all along, the only one to do so, so far.

I might have reacted differently had anybody found the problem and owned it but now it's about the coin. **** 'em.
Quite right too.
They got it wrong; more fool them for not listening to you.

My brother in law, while watching telly, saw a report on a surgeon who'd fucked up quite a few womens' ladybits, doing unnecessary procedures on them.

'Wasn't that the fella who operated on you?' he asked his Mrs.

Turned out there was a massive sum already laid aside to compensate victims and it was just a case of finding out how fucked-up each woman was.

Sister in law got about 30 grand.

I've made a decision. I'm going to contact a local Slater & Gordon firm tomorrow, with a view to sue.

I'm also going to tell my consultant/deputy on Wednesday that I plan to sue, based on what I've written above and tell them to inform the whole MDT that it's time to decide whose best interests they're going to serve, mine or the hospital, and that they may want to revisit all scans, reports etc.

I've just found out that if a surgeon is going to put anything inside a patient, that is to remain, it should be put in the notes and the patient informed.

I'll keep the Arrserati informed.

Thanks again folks.
As Jarrod said, don't tell them anything and just get the legal bods involved. If you do, you would be amazed how many of your documents would be accidentally shredded/deleted/burned/can't be found.

As Jarrod said, don't tell them anything and just get the legal bods involved. If you do, you would be amazed how many of your documents would be accidentally shredded/deleted/burned/can't be found.
What he said.
Don't tell them.
Request a copy of your notes - do it formally, hand a letter to the Consultant and keep a copy letter.
You may have to pay a fee for the copy of your notes.
See link below
NHS England » How do I get a copy of my health records or personal information held by NHS England?
Don't give them the heads up, it won't be the Consultant dealing with your complaint, it will be the devious, evil NHS management, litigation department.
Good luck.

Spoken to solicitors who advise making a formal complaint, seeing what the hospital has to say and getting back to them. Meanwhile, email as much info as possible to them.

Am awaiting a call back from my GP to discuss getting a second opinion.

Game's afoot, ent ded.

Spoken to solicitors who advise making a formal complaint, seeing what the hospital has to say and getting back to them. Meanwhile, email as much info as possible to them.

Game's afoot, ent ded.
I'd suggest, that you instruct your solicitors to do that on your behalf. That way, any missing files, could be seen as an illegal act/tampering with evidence. I'm not a legal bod, so can't be sure.

I'd suggest, that you instruct your solicitors to do that on your behalf. That way, any missing files, could be seen as an illegal act/tampering with evidence. I'm not a legal bod, so can't be sure.
The incompetence of the Byzantine NHS filing system has to be seen to be believed. However, x-ray files can't be lost, at least. As these days they are all on Electronic record.
@Taffd as soon as you possibly can, get your copy records to your legal people.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Game's afoot, ent ded.
A second opinion from who and about what?

Just had a very productive talk with my GP, who recommends writing a letter to the consultant who's been monitoring the mass as well as her chain of command, the head of department, expressing my concerns and asking explicitly for them to investigate the possibility of an RSI. Copy of the letter to the complaints dept to start procedure.

This formally asks the question which must be responded to.

My GP is willing to seek a second opinion but as it would mean transferring my care, I'm not prepared to go down that route. Independent opinion would be part of the legal process, so that's for the future.

A second opinion from who and about what?
I was thinking about another opinion on the CT scan. Or maybe getting the mass investigated by a different hospital. The doc explained that she was happy to do that but it would mean transferring my care, something I don't want. It's an independent opinion that I was thinking of, which is a job for the legal team and process.

I like my present team and this mass is no fault of theirs.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I was thinking about another opinion on the CT scan. Or maybe getting the mass investigated by a different hospital. The doc explained that she was happy to do that but it would mean transferring my care, something I don't want. It's an independent opinion that I was thinking of, which is a job for the legal team and process.

I like my present team and this mass is no fault of theirs.
Surely they could get someone else to look at the scan, the legal team would appoint an independent doctor to see you, they’d request your records first though and it does take time. The legal team will get your consent for the records. Do check the terms of any legal team you employ as in what are their fees and who pays them. I mentioned unions last night as I know they purchase an insurance policy to cover any loss, they won’t take the case on if there’s a certain per centage chance of losing. No win no fee I’ve no idea.

Surely they could get someone else to look at the scan, the legal team would appoint an independent doctor to see you, they’d request your records first though and it does take time. The legal team will get your consent for the records. Do check the terms of any legal team you employ as in what are their fees and who pays them. I mentioned unions last night as I know they purchase an insurance policy to cover any loss, they won’t take the case on if there’s a certain per centage chance of losing. No win no fee I’ve no idea.
The Union are like the CPS.
Has to be a 50% chance of a successful outcome.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The Union are like the CPS.
Has to be a 50% chance of a successful outcome.
Yeah, thought it was about that or more. I’ve a claim ongoing that first team declined to take on so I’d to complain to the union who then used their own team. I was also advised on average I’d be waiting 5-8 years. After a year they’ve not got my medical records.

Yeah, thought it was about that or more. I’ve a claim ongoing that first team declined to take on so I’d to complain to the union who then used their own team. I was also advised on average I’d be waiting 5-8 years. After a year they’ve not got my medical records.
Hmmmm.
Very difficult not to be cynical when dealing with NHS management these days.
If their mouth is moving, they are lying.

To answer all those who've mentioned possible 'loss' of notes.

I've already got most of the relevant notes. The operation notes are the only relevant ones from 1997. Tomorrow I should have a decacography report stating the rectopexy's intact. Which leaves a balance of probability situation, either deliberate or negligent. Hard to provide any evidence of it being deliberate on their part, so we're left with negligent.

Negligence and/or incompetence. Both unacceptable, both with attached compensation for your (not inconsiderable) loss.
Don't let your compassionate side and your respect for your current medical team sway you.
Mistakes have been made, you and your family are paying the price for them.
I hope that your legal team look after your interests better than the NHS did.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Charities and Welfare 28
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 9
Mighty_doh_nut Infantry 38