Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by kabulronin, Sep 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just finished rewatching this great series and about to start Smileys People.

Has any one seen the new remake with Colin Firth yet- or read any reviews?
  2. No but I doubt it'll match the original one, that great cast and particularly Alec Guinness as Smiley. Seems a bit of a waste redoing it when their are other Le Carre's out there.
  3. It might be interesting as a full length movie though. If someone can give me a US release date?
  4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

This is the one John Irvine (Hamburger Hill fame) brilliant director
  5. 9th December according to Wiki.
  6. Thanks LPJ
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Strangely, I bumped into Benedict Cumberbatch today.

No duff.
  8. September 16, reviews are promising, gary oldman plays smiley
  9. I hope you offered him an apology for not looking where you were going?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spies like us: New films by David Hare and John le Carré show human side of the intelligence services - Features, TV & Radio - The Independent

The veteran author said:
  11. £11 for both TTSS + SP doublebill in HMV.

If only the BBC had made the second book into a series.
    Yes it would have been expensive
    Yes it would have been a success
    Yes the yanks stealing the Ko brothers, would have reinforced the perception that the CIA are a bunch of Cowboys.

A Perfect Spy is both a good book to red while watching Ray McAnally shine.
  12. I'm going to reserve judgement on the new Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy movie. Wait til I see it and hope Gary Oldman's performance and the script capture the essence of not only the book but the cult-status BBC production. Whilst Alec Guinness portrayed a brilliant George Smiley it was a masterpiece of story-telling, expectation and revelation by an accomplished cast of actors. A very hard act to follow. But bringing one of Le Carre's best books to life again will undoubtedly lead to a new generation of followers and it automatically leaves the door open for the ubiquitous sequel - Smiley's People. Certainly gets a thumbs up from me.
  13. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

14. I would go with what you say. Curiously or not, there's two posters featured in the London underground advertising the film. I must be getting old but two posters? Is this the commercial norm in these times? I could understand it varying from country to country.
  15. Further to my last and I am becoming a sad bastard for such trivia, I'm now up to 4 posters of varying design for this fillum. For those that wear duffel coats they can be found at - Green Park (Jubillee Line -East) Kings Cross (Northern Line - Bank branch) Heron Keys ( DLR) Euston (Concourse advert board) What happened to the days when one one poster was issued and which subsequently became a collectors item?
    • Like Like x 1