Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Just finished rewatching this great series and about to start Smileys People.

Has any one seen the new remake with Colin Firth yet- or read any reviews?

No but I doubt it'll match the original one, that great cast and particularly Alec Guinness as Smiley. Seems a bit of a waste redoing it when their are other Le Carre's out there.

It might be interesting as a full length movie though. If someone can give me a US release date?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
This is the one John Irvine (Hamburger Hill fame) brilliant director

Thanks LPJ

Strangely, I bumped into Benedict Cumberbatch today.

No duff.

Strangely, I bumped into Benedict Cumberbatch today.

No duff.
I hope you offered him an apology for not looking where you were going?

Spies like us: New films by David Hare and John le Carré show human side of the intelligence services - Features, TV & Radio - The Independent

The veteran author said:
"The film, through my very personal prism, is a triumph. And if people write to me and say, 'How could you let this happen to poor Alec Guinness,' I shall reply that, if 'poor Alec' had witnessed Oldman's performance, he would have been the first to give it a standing ovation. It's not the film of the book. It's the film of the film, and to my eye a work of art in its own right. I'm very proud to have provided Alfredson with the material, but what he made of it is wonderfully his own."

£11 for both TTSS + SP doublebill in HMV.

If only the BBC had made the second book into a series.
Yes it would have been expensive
Yes it would have been a success
Yes the yanks stealing the Ko brothers, would have reinforced the perception that the CIA are a bunch of Cowboys.

A Perfect Spy is both a good book to red while watching Ray McAnally shine.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the new Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy movie. Wait til I see it and hope Gary Oldman's performance and the script capture the essence of not only the book but the cult-status BBC production. Whilst Alec Guinness portrayed a brilliant George Smiley it was a masterpiece of story-telling, expectation and revelation by an accomplished cast of actors. A very hard act to follow. But bringing one of Le Carre's best books to life again will undoubtedly lead to a new generation of followers and it automatically leaves the door open for the ubiquitous sequel - Smiley's People. Certainly gets a thumbs up from me.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the new Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy movie. Wait til I see it and hope Gary Oldman's performance and the script capture the essence of not only the book but the cult-status BBC production. Whilst Alec Guinness portrayed a brilliant George Smiley it was a masterpiece of story-telling, expectation and revelation by an accomplished cast of actors. A very hard act to follow. But bringing one of Le Carre's best books to life again will undoubtedly lead to a new generation of followers and it automatically leaves the door open for the ubiquitous sequel - Smiley's People. Certainly gets a thumbs up from me.
I would go with what you say. Curiously or not, there's two posters featured in the London underground advertising the film. I must be getting old but two posters? Is this the commercial norm in these times? I could understand it varying from country to country.

I would go with what you say. Curiously or not, there's two posters featured in the London underground advertising the film. I must be getting old but two posters? Is this the commercial norm in these times? I could understand it varying from country to country.
Further to my last and I am becoming a sad bastard for such trivia, I'm now up to 4 posters of varying design for this fillum. For those that wear duffel coats they can be found at - Green Park (Jubillee Line -East) Kings Cross (Northern Line - Bank branch) Heron Keys ( DLR) Euston (Concourse advert board) What happened to the days when one one poster was issued and which subsequently became a collectors item?

Further to my last and I am becoming a sad bastard for such trivia, I'm now up to 4 posters of varying design for this fillum. For those that wear duffel coats they can be found at - Green Park (Jubillee Line -East) Kings Cross (Northern Line - Bank branch) Heron Keys ( DLR) Euston (Concourse advert board) What happened to the days when one one poster was issued and which subsequently became a collectors item?
... you've now got four collectors' items, not one.

(And it's not a duffel coat, it's a high-performance anorak; you can tell by the strings. :-D )

I've heard from numerous sources that the film is very slow. It looks promising, but I may wait until it's available on Blu-ray.

I've heard from numerous sources that the film is very slow. It looks promising, but I may wait until it's available on Blu-ray.
It's slow for Holywood standards, not enough exploding helicopters and cgi car crashes to keep fat spams interested I believe.

Really looking forward to this new version, and it will be interesting to see how Oldman handles the role of Smiley? I suspect that he will add a slightly gritier edge as Smiley than Guinness did. Anyone who has read the books will note that Smiley's character is a very cold blooded individual, beneath that veneer of quiet English gentleman. If Oldman is half as good as Alec Guinness in the role, then it should be a cracking film. Let's hope that Hollywood execs don't decide to alter the storyline too much, or even worse try to copy the original series...That would be folly!

Really looking forward to this new version, and it will be interesting to see how Oldman handles the role of Smiley? I suspect that he will add a slightly gritier edge as Smiley than Guinness did. Anyone who has read the books will note that Smiley's character is a very cold blooded individual, beneath that veneer of quiet English gentleman. If Oldman is half as good as Alec Guinness in the role, then it should be a cracking film. Let's hope that Hollywood execs don't decide to alter the storyline too much, or even worse try to copy the original series...That would be folly!
Le Carre ( John Cornwall) has 'bigged' the film up in the London press. He even appears in it in a 'Hitchcockian' moment by all accounts. Well, if I was part of a project that had resurrected a 37 year old book of mine, I'd probably say as much as well. I do like Gary Oldman though, he did give credibility to the 'Commissioner Gordon' character in the Batman series in particular. I do hope that he does the biz on this one, records are meant to be broken and Guinness has had a good run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Films, Music and All Things Artsy 14
Fugly The NAAFI Bar 23
E Classified Ads 1