Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by eodmatt, Sep 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since I left the army I have gradually acquired an increasing level of tinnitus in both ears. I have read up on it and some authorites reckon its due to some kind of anxiety, whilst others seem to favour industrial injury as the cause. There is no doubt that I had been fairly close to large bangs over the years as well as having fired the SLR lots of times with those bits of foam stuck in me ears, so there may lie the cause.

But does anyone have any experience of this tinnitus thing and in particular how to ameliorate the effects, which are now beginning to be very pervasive and are pissing me off.
  2. There is no cure, you have to learn to live with it. My only advise is to avoid noisy environments
  3. good answer
  4. I suffer from the damn thing too and heehaw you can do about it
  5. My dad (radio/radar techy type for 40 odd years) struggles with this and actually finds having a radio tuned to white noise on low volume helps!!! But he IS a bit of a freak!
  6. I find it can help to have low level music/sounds on as it can almost block out the tinnitus or least make it fade into the background.
  7. You'd easily clear the ringing in your ears by getting BigBird67 to sit on your face
  8. Thanks all! Not vey encouraging, but at least the straight facts. Big Bird, can you please ask your Dad if it's any particular range of audio frequencies of white noise that helps? I can make a white noise audio generator if it will help me.
  9. How does oxygen starvation and brain crushing injury help tinnitus?? Oh no...hang on a minute.......
  10. Willing to give it a try.......
  11. I think he just whacks the radio onto a blank station, no particular range, its more a change in pitch for a bit that he gets relief from, losing the high pitched whine! You do realise its virtually incurable??
  12. There is a device called an audimed which is very small and pops into the ear which helps. It's basically white noise which can be adjusted in frequency and volume. If you go through your GP and get referred to the ENT clinic , then to the tinnitus clinic it is available free on the NHS.
    I've also heard tell of pink and blue noise which can help but have never come across a device emitting them.
  13. A very good tip Bigbird and one I often give to patients, here are a few facts and figures ( stop me if you've heard them before!):

Tinnitus was first mentioned in ancient Egyptians papyrus 16th century BC

Suffers :

10-20% of adult UK population at any one time
    5% experience tinnitus most of the time

Tinnitus is a perception of a noise in one or both ears, sometimes it is perceived in the head with no specific ear being louder than the other. Generally it can only be heard by the person however in rare cases it can be heard by other people. Patients have described the noise produced in many ways some of the most common being a ringing, buzzing, hissing or bleeping

An experiment by Hellier and Bergman (1952) has subjects confined to sound proof booths and ask them to report all the sounds they heard. 94% reported some form of tinnitus like perception.

There hundreds of 'treatments' on the market, try googling it! However there is no cure, only life style changes that may help relieve symptoms.

Hearing aids can help as Tinnitus and Hearing loss go hand in hand and the use of hearing aids can sometimes cause the hearing to be corrected and this will mask or make the tinnitus less bother some due to the amplification of background noise.
  14. WW, just to add not all those with tinnitus suffer any loss of hearing.

edited due to pedantry: Not all of those with tinnitus will suffer any deterioration in hearing any greater than the normal range that would be expected by others of their age group. In short, tinnitus does not always mean a greater hearing loss than that of those who do not have tinnitus. Nor does it mean that all sufferers need hearing aids.
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Went to see my GP about this some years ago and the considered medical opinion was - live with it, nothing we can do!!

Can be really annoying at times but at least it ain't painful :D