Tin foil hat time! Undersea data cables cut. No net for Iran

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Schleswig-Holstein, Feb 6, 2008.

?
  1. CIA/MOSSAD

32.9%
  2. MI6

4.7%
  3. Captain Nemo

35.3%
  4. Gordon Brown

9.4%
  5. The Russkies

7.1%
  6. no one - is just simple wear & tear

10.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok folks - I'm guessing that many of you have seen the news about undersea fibre-optic cables getting cut.

According to some, five separate cables have now been cut and large parts of the world are now suffering reduced internet & data communications, including Iran and India. The official answer is that they have been damaged by dragging anchors, but some people have pointed out that in at least one case no ships were in the vicinity of the cable when it broke.

As you can imagine the conspiracy theorists are having a field day - especially when you look at the locations of the cut cables & the fact that Iran is apparently without t' internet.

[​IMG]

So, is it tinfoil hat time or coincidence? :?

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It does seem like an awful lot of cut cables in a short space of time. My money is on plain old human folly though. :)

3. It was me!! I was in my rubber gimp suit, practicing my underwater knife fighting skills, as you do.

4. Now call me paranoid but if the undersea cables are being taken out of service where does the data get re-routed ? Over the air ? Sigint anybody ?

5. Oddly enough, over on Pprune, amongst the willy-waving over which Service does the best winching, it was mentioned that the rescue south-west of the Scilly Isles was made difficult by the presence of a cable-laying vessel that refused to answer any radio calls.

A good number of the cables leave the UK from cove west of Penzance. Is there a chance that when they lift the cable in the Med there's mothing wrong with it, but it takes several years to trace the fault back up the line?

In other news, shares in aluminium foil manufactures, Alcan, shoot through the roof..................

6. msr

msr LE

Nowhere, the packets just get dropped.

msr

7. This is terrible. How can you conduct terrorist activity without the internet helpfully provided by Satan who has now er... probably taken it away. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.
    We must take steps to protect te integrity of the ARRSE site and links.

8. 49 Para Commando Sqn SAS at it again eh

9. Cow

Cow LE

Undersea cable capacity far out strips any other form of transport, there is no way that everything could be re-routed which is why everything has slowed down.

10. If India gets cut off from UK, how will our banks and other telephone assistance dependant operations cope?

11. msr

msr LE

Hopefully more efficiently with English speaking operators :roll:

msr

12. Problem solved !!!!!

[​IMG]

13. I thought that the whole point of this t'interweb thingy was that redundancy was inbuilt?
    Cut one cable or whatever and the data is re-routed via another conduit.

It's four cables now according to CNN.

The consensus amongst the tin-foil-hat brigade seems to be that listening devices are being installed somewhere else along the cables whilst repairs are being made. Seems a bit bloody obvious to me, but since when have the septics been subtle?

14. if it is terrorist related they have adapted well (obviously Osama bin loonie is or has been on a Pre PIRA training course) going after assets rather than take on the green machine :idea:

if it is an accident "unlucky" ? :?

But it its gozilla "run away" !! :cry:

15. Call me Mr Picky, but if this is any western agency, wouldn't this be a phenomenal own goal? T'internet is about the only way ordinary Iranians have of seeing what a load of old toot their leadership are spouting - cutting it off means they've got no other source of news than the official ones.

Of course (tinfoil) it could be that it suits certain quarters that nothing gets out of Iran as well, so that western public opinion goes on believing Iranians to be just one big homogenous crock of crazy, rather than ordinary folks who're getting hacked off with their politicians as well.