Tin Foil Hat Time? Are we under cyber-attack?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Auld-Yin, Jul 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

RBS computers go down and take days/weeks to sort if you are with Ulster Bank - people can't get their dosh.

O2 computers go down and people can't use their phones, A&E units told to standby for emergency admissions from people suffering Tweeter withdrawal symptoms!

Question is, do we need tin-foil hats to ward off the evil eye as a cyber attack on the UK computer systems is under way? Is it the first wave of an attack by aliens from deepest outer space or is it the sneeky Chinks having ago a us and the start of WW3?
  2. I thought it was down to greedy dickheads cutting staff to the bone and scrimping on infrastructure, to leave more cash for important stuff like bonuses and big motor cars.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Such cynicism for one so young. ;-)
  4. Bolsheveik! The Market (PBUI) is the most efficient method for allocating resources.

It allocated them very effectively to the Boards of RBS, etc. by not asking inefficient questions like, "Is the organisation capable of delivering what people are paying for?"

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  5. Did you really think that 21/12/12 would just sort of happen with no build up?

These are just the fore warnings and there will be more to come in the next few months before the final catacylism when all the computers in the whole world just suddenly stop working.

oh hang on that was supposed to be Y2K wasn't it? Opps
  6. Its the Millenium bug......its just a tad late thats all.
  7. Does that mean I can have an extended Yule holiday then?
  8. It'll just be some odd looking autistic bloke trying to find out if cheese really does grow on the moon...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. fu2

fu2 LE

It is the beginning of the end I tell you, but you can be saved. At 12 o clock on the 21st of december you must lay naked in a bathtub full of swarfega wearing the tinfoil hat and with all bodily openings sealed with wax (to stop the alien spirits entering your body)

10. Not a clue. Yule have to ask someone else.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Perhaps if you'd read the news, instead of posting shit threads on ARRSE, you'd realise that the RBS issue was caused by a CA patch being applied by some outsourced mong in India. The patch fucked up everything, then the employees deleted the banking queues when they rolled back the software, thus causing the issue.

I wish you old cunts would either sign a petition for legalised euthenasia, or get yourselves over to Dignitas.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. If there's ever a choice between cock-up or conspiracy to explain disasters and catastrophes.

It's cock-up every time I'm afraid.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ahh good old hanlans razor...
  14. In all seriousness (yes, I know, it's the NAAFI), I have been worried about the increasing dependence on electronics since the mid-80s when a company I worked for decided to throw out all it's paper copies of invoices and go completely computerised...and a month later the computer system crashing and we had no way of knowing who owed what. The NHS wants to go completely paperless... great, until you are admitted into A&E unconscious, there's a glitch on the computers (which happen on virtually a daily basis at the place I work) and no-one knows you're allergic to penicillin...

Computers are only as good as the mongs that work them and hopefully these recent failings will remind everyone to not be quite so dependent on them.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. I absolutely refuse to believe the rumour that started with the quoted conversation,

"Ah, the Audit teams arrived. Hello there, yes I'm the CEO, happy to help in any way we can. Would you like to plug your laptop in? Lovely, use that socket over there, yes the big red one. Just pull out the plug already in it, it's only THE LAMINATOR. Oh dear, the mainframe appears to have crashed".

It probably was just a software upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1