Timewatch Now

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, May 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure about Richard Hammond but the rest of the format seems promising.

2. Timewatch always good, but why have that attention seeking munchkin fronting this ?
    Richard Holmes or Clarkson would make a much better job of it

3. Agree. Al Murray would have been my choice, not for any comic value but because he is also a historian.

A revalation for me was that the US planners had accounted for the probable casualty toll that happened. 8O

4. If you missed it, you can watch or download on iplayer

5. Cheers for that mate, will be catching up on that later. :wink:

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It was good but I can't help feeling that Omaha has been covered so many times there 's not much more off a different angle you can put on it
    I would have liked to see the BBC concentrate on Pegasus bridge or the Merville assault both of which are cracking stories but seem to be forgotton

Still as I said a good programme I think it was originally shown last year

7. Probably because conventional SPAM wisdom is that the Yanks won on their own (whilst the Limey's were drinking tea) and BBC America couldn't show something that was out of step with that analysis.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I should think Omaha was chosen because it was a bigger mess than the other beaches. Better covered (fictionally though) in The Longest Day. Pgm on BBC did not cover lack of tank support due to tanks being dropped too far out (6000 yards offshore) and sinking or drifting too far along the beach (tide was running) from their intended landing spots; or LC generally being launched too far out (11 miles off the beach) - due to usual, {edited to add:} (plain bad seamanship by the US admiral and) traditional US refusal to listen to Brit advice. However pgm was spot on about the failure of USAAC shock and awe beforehand, and the cost of the landing being 35 minutes late, thus 40 minutes after the 14" bombardment by USS Texas had ceased.

9. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

It wasn't bad and ok to watch, if you had nothing better to do.
    Not a lot new in it, but then again after all those years it has been hashed and rehashed.
    Still another way to make sure we all won't forget, and that's the important thing about it IMHO.