Times on Reservists

They do their day job in the TA - eh? FTRS?

If your department are as undermanned as you say, but have staff who frequently deploy, then your department really isn't that important.

Pretty obvious.

The dept provides direct support to ops, which allows those that are STABS to deploy to theatre and still do the same job, just in theatre and in uniform. Which, not surprisingly, adds to the quality of work done as it is not a faceless military bod we talk to, and the real soldiers also get to liaise with someone they have hard on a phone before.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Ah, understood - J2 stuff.

Fair enough, your teams day job and Reserve occupation are closely interlinked. Time off from employer to deploy is obviously a simple thing to do, as the transition is seamless. Pinstripes off, PCS on.

My apologies for saying otherwise.

I think I've seen one 'come and join' flyer in 12 years down here and that wasn't even for the local TAC.

If you're still in York, I'm disappointed you've not been flyered to death during the ongoing QOY recruiting surge.

Apparently not. As per most STABs they do their day job in the TA, or as close a representation as is possible...

My day job is about afar removed from my Reserve role as its possible to imagine, but interestingly I heard an officer on a Radio 4 arts programme a few weeks ago bemoaning the fact that its not like WWII when you find dozens of people who did what I do who'd been called up. Maybe they need to look again at who's inside the uniform.

Tapped in Morse Code on the radiator.

Last edited:
Any idea on how to convince civvie firms to give the lads (and lasses) the time off they will need for training?

A couple of ideas spring to mind:

1. First, concentrate on winning the argument with the CFO. If it makes financial sense to have Reserves on your payroll, then it makes sense.

2. Second, target the HR manual. If the process says it can happen, then the HR process monkeys will allow it to happen. Business-friendly concessions will be necessary; see Point 1.

3. Third, concentrate on accreditation. Establish access to a suite of commonly needed workplace skills (FAAW, HAZMAT etc) and provide the employer with a choice of either paying for them or having the Reservists on their payroll trained for free by the MOD. See Point 1.

4. Finally, ensure that the MOD stop behaving as though civilian employers are merely caretaking a workforce that rightfully belongs to the Armed Services and is theirs to cherry-pick as they see fit. However much Defence needs Reservists to be ready to plug the gaps in the Tri-Service ORBATs, Reservists are sentien, carbon-based life-forms* who need to earn money to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. Unless the MOD have discovered a cohort of potential recruits who either have private incomes or no need of employment, they must begin to deal with the realities of a Reserve that needs to earn a living and build a career in between bouts of righting wrongs in Gotham City. See Point 1.

In summary, businesses don't have souls so shitcan the emotional and historical hyperbole and start forming a proposition that would make not employing Reservists look like an act of insanity.

Mileage may vary.

*Except for the Paras who are, of course, Klingons as any fule kno.

Forlorn Hope

Old-Salt
Reserve service has to be financially viable for Civilian Employers. How about a tax break? All the Reservists tax is credited to there civilian employer as a reduction in the organisations tax liability.
The more the Reservist earns, the less tax the employer pays....

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Reserve service has to be financially viable for Civilian Employers. How about a tax break? All the Reservists tax is credited to there civilian employer as a reduction in the organisations tax liability.
The more the Reservist earns, the less tax the employer pays....

An interesting idea, I would add 1 proviso, reservists tax from MOD employment...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ARRSE mobile app

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
We're back to TACOS, of course. In order for the Reserve offering to make sense, it has to make sense to three discrete groups:

a. Employers
b. Reservists' families
c. Reservists themselves

Employers are highly unlikely to be swayed by patriotism or some vague assurance that Johnny Fucknuts from the post room will be a far better employee for being, also, Lance Bombardier Fucknuts (the op tour element will be going away, soon). They'll be looking for some positive reason to countenance, never mind encourage, Reserve service. This pretty much has to be financial - either the value of their human asset increases and hence their return on his employment does, or costs associated with retaining the asset fall. At the moment, there's no such incentive, really.

Families must support the reservist and it should be possible for a family to preserve substantially the same standard of living when the reservist is active as when he's not. This potentially adds substantial cost to MoD in making up a gap between Army salaries and civilian.

Reservists themselves should see some clear progression available to those who seek it. Not everyone wants to be a General, of course, but reserve units must be structured and designed to deploy as formed entities, from at least the sub-unit level, under their own, competent, officers and NCOs - and hence those officers and NCOs have to be identified, trained, qualified and put in the right slots. The corollary to this, of course, is that the Reserve as a source of cheap labour and individual replacements is an entirely different beast to a formed and organised reserve - and MoD need to be clear on which option it's taking.

Latest Threads