Times Article - Compulsory Mobilisation ?

Can anyone comment on the statements in this article that mobilisation is compulsory i.e. not voluntary compulsory. Thought we were only calling up those who volunteered at present?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2457891.html

to quote “I was called up,” explained Lance-Corporal Roddy Mackay from Wick, in civilian life an ambulance paramedic and proud father of two. “I would not have volunteered. I will do it for the experience, but my wife, Jan, is finding it hard to deal with, which makes it harder for me.”

Lance-Corporal Emma Fraser, from Bonhill in Alexandria, captured the prevailing mood among these modern conscript soldiers. “I did not volunteer, but I’ve been in the TA for nine years so I feel obliged to do my bit.”

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Without wishing to blow their cover at work/with wife etc., I am pretty damned sure that they are there voluntarily.

What are they going to say to the Press - "Oh no, I wanted a year away from Work?"

“They have declared themselves available to serve and they have been invited to step up to the plate,” says Major Frank Philip, the Alamein company spokesman. “For domestic or other reasons, some would rather not be described as volunteers.”

msr

As a reservist I was compulsorily mobilised for Telic 6 (as were a couple of others at RTMC at the same time).

Further to that though, if I remember correctly, if you volunteer for Iraq once you have been accepted you are on the books as "compulsorily mobilised".

Therefore, no matter what, you are listed as compulsorily mobilised, as I was told at the time, this counted for Iraq only.

Clear as mud? :p

This article is shoddy journalism:

These are not regular soldiers. The men and eight women are civilians who never expected to find themselves facing death.
Yes they did, it has been very clear to every TA soldier since TELIC 1 that this is on the cards.

They did not volunteer for action.
See the link on the front page of this forum

This is the largest exclusively Territorial Army (TA) unit to be deployed in a war zone since 1945.
No, it is a Force Protection Company and the same size as they have been on several previous TELICs.

This country has not put conscripts into the front line since the days of National Service.
Since when have people been forced to join the TA?

“The face of the TA is changing,” admits L-Cpl Fraser, “Some have quit because of the compulsory call-ups, but we are all volunteers to the TA.”

However, sending part-time soldiers abroad on compulsory call-ups has had a devastating effect on recruitment.
Not according to a letter from the IG TA, published in the same paper!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2459864,00.html

msr

And the sticky on the front page?

Nope. Would you employ somebody who lies on their CV?

msr

As I understood, you volunteer for compulsary mobilisation, that way your civvi job gets protected etc etc..

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
This is not unexpected - see a previous thread on last Sundy's Sunday Times article on the TA - it was complete bollox, and this isn't much better.

The STimes is - and NEVER forget this - a Murcoch rag, and behaves like one quite often.

Expect a stiff letter from someone in the MoD to the STimes on this - not that they'll publish it, of course.

Compulsory mobilisation is a result of many surveys of TA personnel over many years.

Many would volunteer to be mobilised - but are unsure about job security etc.

therefore most personnel would prefer to be compulsory mobilised...

...the other half would give them less earache too

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was mobilised for Telic 4 I was asked for a reason not to go
I wanted to go had no problems with it the fact they were offering a compulsery mobilisation was even better as I didn't want to lose the civvy job
People were puling excuses out of a hat one SGT allegedly used the now famous phrase '' I've been in 19 years why should I go ?''
People were using even worse excuses

If you have been in the TA for 9 years like Emma Fraser (quoted) and didn't spot this coming then sorry love you are a complete fukcing dipsh1t
It's been happening for over 3 years
If you can't spot that how the fukc are you supposed to spot IED's etc in Iraq
If you don't want to play get out
I don't want a miserable usless to$$er in my snatch depressing the balls off every one and not doing the job
There are no conscripts in Britain
Don't appear in the paper whining about doing your bit either step up and hold your head high or fukc off
The TA as an old mans drinking club is finished ,over ,gone
The TA must rebrand itself as a fighting force the 'civvy soldiers' conjours up pictures of Dads Army walking along at the end of the programme
If I was a CO and these clowns were whining round my TAC I wouldn't let their feet touch the ground their kit would be in and they would be off
If you wnt to play pretend soldiers join Pte Golden and the microsoft clowns don't waste everyones time and effort and then when it comes to the real thing cry about it.
Sorry I don't wish to Rant but these fools are in my opinion damaging the TA with there stupid stories some one ought to come out and say what a crock of sh1t it is that they are on about and set the record straight

One more point if they are all paramedics,policemen and civil servents who is filling in for them now they are gone?
Wouldn't paramedics be better employed back filling units here in the UK or Germany etc

Interviewed waiting for the plane out there,what did people expect tales of happiness and joy ?No one thinks iraq is worth it and anyone voluntering
would be seen by friends, families as odd or worse.
People will go if they have to just dont expect anyone to sing about .

woody said:
Interviewed waiting for the plane out there,what did people expect tales of happiness and joy ?No one thinks iraq is worth it and anyone voluntering
Woody,

No-one has 'had' to go since Nov 05. They are all volunteers, every last one of them. Shed no tears.

msr

Of course only volunteers are being mobilised. Isn't it implicit when you sign on that you accept the risk that you may be called up?

There's also a sense of obligation that, unless you have a genuine welfare issue that warrants deferment, you don't try to avoid mobilisation (as to do so would involve somebody else being called up in your place).

msr said:
woody said:
Woody,

No-one has 'had' to go since Nov 05. They are all volunteers, every last one of them. Shed no tears.

msr
I'll think you'll find that the volunteer bit comes when they join the TA and secondly if their management believes they will 'Kick Off' if they get the brown envelope.

This is an opinion based experience and trade but one you may not find to far from home.

In my experience most units have an intelligent mobilsation policy should the call require. Those that can do, those that can't don't end of. Remember some people have been there, seen it, and lost a comrade, not necessarily in Iraq/Afganistan.

Well interviewing people waiting for the plane out hardly going to get tales of joy .And can you blame anyone in the ta playing the compulsory moblisation card it is hard enough to go when families and job are neutral
at best .