Times Article - Compulsory Mobilisation ?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by subrosa, Nov 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone comment on the statements in this article that mobilisation is compulsory i.e. not voluntary compulsory. Thought we were only calling up those who volunteered at present?

to quote “I was called up,” explained Lance-Corporal Roddy Mackay from Wick, in civilian life an ambulance paramedic and proud father of two. “I would not have volunteered. I will do it for the experience, but my wife, Jan, is finding it hard to deal with, which makes it harder for me.”

Lance-Corporal Emma Fraser, from Bonhill in Alexandria, captured the prevailing mood among these modern conscript soldiers. “I did not volunteer, but I’ve been in the TA for nine years so I feel obliged to do my bit.”
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Without wishing to blow their cover at work/with wife etc., I am pretty damned sure that they are there voluntarily.

What are they going to say to the Press - "Oh no, I wanted a year away from Work?"
  3. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  4. msr

msr LE

“They have declared themselves available to serve and they have been invited to step up to the plate,” says Major Frank Philip, the Alamein company spokesman. “For domestic or other reasons, some would rather not be described as volunteers.”

5. As a reservist I was compulsorily mobilised for Telic 6 (as were a couple of others at RTMC at the same time).

Further to that though, if I remember correctly, if you volunteer for Iraq once you have been accepted you are on the books as "compulsorily mobilised".

Therefore, no matter what, you are listed as compulsorily mobilised, as I was told at the time, this counted for Iraq only.

Clear as mud? :p
  6. msr

msr LE

This article is shoddy journalism:

Yes they did, it has been very clear to every TA soldier since TELIC 1 that this is on the cards.

See the link on the front page of this forum

No, it is a Force Protection Company and the same size as they have been on several previous TELICs.

Since when have people been forced to join the TA?

“The face of the TA is changing,” admits L-Cpl Fraser, “Some have quit because of the compulsory call-ups, but we are all volunteers to the TA.”

Not according to a letter from the IG TA, published in the same paper!

7. Basically they have volunteered but due to the wording are now compulsorily mobilised and are playing on it (just read the story properly).
  8. Nuke this before employers see it, MSR
  9. msr

msr LE

And the sticky on the front page?

Nope. Would you employ somebody who lies on their CV?

10. As I understood, you volunteer for compulsary mobilisation, that way your civvi job gets protected etc etc..
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This is not unexpected - see a previous thread on last Sundy's Sunday Times article on the TA - it was complete bollox, and this isn't much better.

The STimes is - and NEVER forget this - a Murcoch rag, and behaves like one quite often.

Expect a stiff letter from someone in the MoD to the STimes on this - not that they'll publish it, of course.
  12. Compulsory mobilisation is a result of many surveys of TA personnel over many years.

Many would volunteer to be mobilised - but are unsure about job security etc.

therefore most personnel would prefer to be compulsory mobilised...

...the other half would give them less earache too
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

When I was mobilised for Telic 4 I was asked for a reason not to go
    I wanted to go had no problems with it the fact they were offering a compulsery mobilisation was even better as I didn't want to lose the civvy job
    People were puling excuses out of a hat one SGT allegedly used the now famous phrase '' I've been in 19 years why should I go ?''
    People were using even worse excuses

If you have been in the TA for 9 years like Emma Fraser (quoted) and didn't spot this coming then sorry love you are a complete fukcing dipsh1t
    It's been happening for over 3 years
    If you can't spot that how the fukc are you supposed to spot IED's etc in Iraq
    If you don't want to play get out
    I don't want a miserable usless to$$er in my snatch depressing the balls off every one and not doing the job
    There are no conscripts in Britain
    Don't appear in the paper whining about doing your bit either step up and hold your head high or fukc off
    The TA as an old mans drinking club is finished ,over ,gone
    The TA must rebrand itself as a fighting force the 'civvy soldiers' conjours up pictures of Dads Army walking along at the end of the programme
    If I was a CO and these clowns were whining round my TAC I wouldn't let their feet touch the ground their kit would be in and they would be off
    If you wnt to play pretend soldiers join Pte Golden and the microsoft clowns don't waste everyones time and effort and then when it comes to the real thing cry about it.
    Sorry I don't wish to Rant but these fools are in my opinion damaging the TA with there stupid stories some one ought to come out and say what a crock of sh1t it is that they are on about and set the record straight

One more point if they are all paramedics,policemen and civil servents who is filling in for them now they are gone?
    Wouldn't paramedics be better employed back filling units here in the UK or Germany etc
  14. SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH loose talk causes divorce
  15. Interviewed waiting for the plane out there,what did people expect tales of happiness and joy ?No one thinks iraq is worth it and anyone voluntering
    would be seen by friends, families as odd or worse.
    People will go if they have to just dont expect anyone to sing about .