Times and Sunday Times websites to charge from June

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldSouthernGent, Mar 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will the others jump on the band wagon too?

"The Times and Sunday Times newspapers will start charging to access their websites in June, owner News International (NI) has announced.

Users will pay £1 for a day's access and £2 for a week's subscription. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8588432.stm

I suppose it had to come to this with the demise of print media sales.

2. £2 for a weeks subs isn't bad though.

3. £2 or not I wouldn't give the dirty digger the skin of my shite.

4. I heard this on R2 earlier also and the editor states they have 20 million viewing the site???? (did i hear wrong)

I suspect other media sectors will monitor this very carefully but it was only a matter of time before one of them made the big leap to subs, seeing as sky and auntie are fee paid anyway I suspect more will defect to there now unless the two attempt an additional charge within the site?

Times they are a changing, sorry could'nt resist

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The viewing figures will change drastically in June!! It will be interesting to hear what their figures are in September/October.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Waste of money, plenty of free news elsewhere. Also means fewer people will see the ads on the website. The only thing I'll miss will be the Brookes cartoons.

7. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

This has been talked about by a lot of newspapers worldwide - expect a big bang soon after with eveyone else following suit. Free news will only come from the current "free" newspapers and they will come with a tonne of advertising that you will have to wade through.

8. Agree Auld yin,

Diverting from the topic slightly: This has a similar situation to the R2 twogs v Chris evans situation where as we'll see in 6 months how those figures have changed also, personally chris is doing not bad but i understand the hardcore twogs fans will probably leave

As for other papers to follow but increase their advertisement? well revenue has to come from somewhere I guess but it's been said for many years there's no such thing as free advertisement,

A paper 90% of advertisements is a shopping catalogue not a newspaper :(

9. Somehow I can't see the Red Tops and in particular, 'The Daily Star', charging for their 'news'.

I can also see some dusty ex-pat friends of mine changing ships to the 'Torygraph' whilst it remains free to use once 'The Times' brings in charges, whilst the Guardianistas amongst them will be gloating until pre-dinner drinks at Christmas!

10. Just read the sun. Same thing, bigger words, less pictures.

11. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'd think about paying, if the website was faster, and had no adverts...I'm not paying for a website that takes ages to browse, mainly because of the number of 'interactive' adverts on it.

S_R

12. Don't you mean, 'Less words, bigger pictures'?

13. I have used The Times Website for years to view certain data on an almost daily basis .... spent an hour this morning and my new free alternative is now set up ready for use .

14. The BBC has toyed with this, I think, and charging for BBC Player type presentations, but recently has categorically stated that the BBC Tax covers the BBC websites as well. Which is nice.

Sky, ITV et al can't do much if BBC don't.

15. I think the more high end papers will start it off purely because most of their customers own a computer with internet connections and have bank cards/credit cards they can use to pay.
    You can imagine the mob of business men traveling at peak time just using their laptops rather than queuing in WH Smiths. A weeks worth of Times in newspaper format is £8.50 so £2 online is a bargain.
    As laptops/mobiles/wifi get cheaper the red tops will probably follow suit.