Timed promotion, why???

Why do we have time promotion, can anybody tell me? In addition how will Veng effect time promotion. Does this mean that non tech trades will have to wait even longer now to be promoted whilst tech trades will still be promoted on time? Providing for more resentment!!!
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

unless things have changed out of all recognition promotion is on time only for those that are qualified.

So if promotion to Sgt is lets say, 5 years from Cpl then you would only get that promotion should you have class one trade, SMC (or whatever it is now) and education, and not just because you had served 5 years in the previous rank.

pensionprisoner said:
now i know u r taking the urine.
I was told that it was brought in to give us a pay rise without messing around with the pay scales. Stop us running away and working for Orange once we'd finished our time bar.

Also, to give us a bit more authority during inspections etc.

zippy483 said:
unless things have changed out of all recognition promotion is on time only for those that are qualified.

So if promotion to Sgt is lets say, 5 years from Cpl then you would only get that promotion should you have class one trade, SMC (or whatever it is now) and education, and not just because you had served 5 years in the previous rank.
The book says lcpl - sgt min 5 years with class 1, smc and a reccomendation on a cr. This reccomendation could be a CY.
Please be realistic, how many people fail to reach these very basic requirements??

basic requirements or not they and the recommendation are stil that requirements,

I know of atleast one person that didn't get a recommendation despite being qualified and hence didn't get promoted so time promotion is a myth although I concede, it is/was rare not to be promoted.

pensionprisoner said:
zippy483 said:

The book says lcpl - sgt min 5 years with class 1, smc and a reccomendation on a cr. This reccomendation could be a CY.
Please be realistic, how many people fail to reach these very basic requirements??
plus EFP 1 or SCLM!! Which would ensure you could spell!!!!!

pensionprisoner said:
zippy483 said:

Please be realistic, how many people fail to reach these very basic requirements??[/quote]

A lot more than you think!

Boooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!

I must ask, pp, why do you care? You're not a timed promotion tradesman so why do you see fit to question the way we do things? What affect does the fact that some have a timed promotion have on you?!

Another point to note is that timed promotion ends at Sgt, so Techs could spend a long time waiting for their SSgt. In fact, unless they go Tiffy they wait an eternity, when the vacancy promotion trades catch up and pass them.

Nige said:
Another point to note is that timed promotion ends at Sgt, so Techs could spend a long time waiting for their SSgt. In fact, unless they go Tiffy they wait an eternity, when the vacancy promotion trades catch up and pass them.

I have heard in the past techs complaining that they have be stuck at sgt for 10 years, some other trades have to wait an average of 16 years to get sgt!!

sparky8 said:
Boooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!

I must ask, pp, why do you care? You're not a timed promotion tradesman so why do you see fit to question the way we do things? What affect does the fact that some have a timed promotion have on you?!
vvvvverrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy bbbbbboooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrriinnnggggg

Feel rubbed up the wrong way do we? face it timed promotion has no grounding, instead of talking balls, explain why there still is timed promotion. Ive never been to iraq, does that mean i cant disscus the problem???

Lads.....

You all had the choice in which trade to go for, if you felt that bad you could always retrade.

SOme get fast promotion others slow, some get timed, some don´t.

Deal with it, and DRIVE ONNNNN1

zippy483 said:
basic requirements or not they and the recommendation are stil that requirements,

I know of atleast one person that didn't get a recommendation despite being qualified and hence didn't get promoted so time promotion is a myth although I concede, it is/was rare not to be promoted.
Can this not be backed up by the SEX OPTION :lol:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From previous thread on here, it seems to me that the ones who are on 'time' promotion are the ones who don't see the benefits of the WOs & Sgts' Mess.

Time promotion is there for a reason but as people move towards that rank then they should pick up on the reasons for a rank structure.

IMHO

OK pp, here's why I think we should have timed promotion.

At the moment it takes anywhere from 18 months to 24 months to turn a phase2 into a phase3 soldier. During that time, technicians are expected to complete a very hard course academically. At the end of that the Army has invested a hell of a lot of money in each person.

The carrot for guys and girls to go technician is the fact that they have quicker promotions. If we didn't promote them, we wouldn't pay them. If we dont pay them we will lose them as quickly as possible to civilian industry.

No, you haven't rubbed me up the wrong way mate, I got through very quickly and am at the top of the tree with 6 years left to push. Did I earn it? Well, I'd say I earned my LCpl for 3 years of training (ex brat). Prob not my Cpl, but then 4 years to Sergeant - maybe. I definitely earned my SSgt and I believe my Warrant after that.

I know we seem to clash a lot on here but I think perhaps you are questioning the wrong thing. Timed promotion is only bad if people don't deserve it. If someone doesn't then their line managers should be strong enough to write them the CR that they have earned and accordingly they should not be promoted. Its more a question of moral courage and leadership than writing a wrong in a system.

sparky8 said:
OK pp, here's why I think we should have timed promotion.

At the moment it takes anywhere from 18 months to 24 months to turn a phase2 into a phase3 soldier. During that time, technicians are expected to complete a very hard course academically. At the end of that the Army has invested a hell of a lot of money in each person.
Sparky, As a Brat like ur good self i seem to recall doing a hell of a lot of maths and science subjects and i beleive the techs did 1 extra lesson a week whilst the black hand trades did a PT session instead.

We know each other and i know ur background and you have done very well for yourself for which i am genuinely pleased. I would like you however to answer this question, as a VM and i'm sure it occured for many black hand trades i was told "Cpl ASS you cannot be expected to be promoted just because you are shit hot at trade you need to do something else to bump up your CR" This meant sport or organising something or other back in the day. Nowadays im sure a guy with a good op tour under his belt will favour most. As a tech with timed promotion (up to Sgt) he/she can quite possibly be very average and still make Sgt in under 9 yrs. Why is that just?

There are very good technicians and very good tradesman in every other discipline. I really think the reason the techs sometimes get a bad name is that even tho they are average or bad in some respects they still get promoted whereas a VM or any other non tech has to work his bollocks off and do far more than his trade in order to stand out and be " a cut above the rest"

You don’t have to be a tech to reach the top of the tree with 6 + years left to serve you just need to be committed and put in the work.

There is a good reason techs are promoted initially very quickly and that is as has been said; the army has invested in them massively and with the pay scales we have now they cant be rewarded for their knowledge and ability purely by money. They must be promoted to get the esteem and the money. Some techs will do well in this system and move in to the Sgts' mess seamlessly and others being immature (due to age and lack of time done) will struggle. Most black hand trades will have done a bit longer before reaching the mess or they will be mature for their age and hence their quick promotion.

Another aspect to time promotion is minimum time to be served in each rank and the sloping line on the promotion board based on time served and ability. I believe people should be promoted purely on ability the pay 2000 increment system is designed to reward people who have been stuck at one rank for a protracted period of time. People should not be rewarded for the fact they have been in a rank for a long time; the fact they have been in a rank for a long time should mean that they are very good at their job and thus they will promote on ability alone other wise you end up promoting dross (relative) because they have served for a long time!!

Just my take on it.

Dave