Time to test the heating...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by vinniethemanxcat, Aug 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Try out your heating system now, don't leave it till it gets cold, then discover the pump or the diverter valve is jammed.

Happens every year, about 10 all ring up the same day, to be told I can't come for a week.

If the pump isn't sending water around the radiators, turn off the boiler immediately, if the impeller can be freed, it can carry on for longer, but if left powered up will burn out.

If you can see a chrome disc with a slot in it, on the head of the pump, undo, a dribble of water will follow but no more.

Then poke a slim bladed screwdriver into the hole, you should feel a slot on the impeller shaft, give it a twirl, then turn on the power, the pump should start to turn, then replace the disc.

2. Many thanks for that. While you're on, I can't seem to get a good picture on the telly? Is it because I've left food rotating in it overnight, or did I leave a fork in it by mistake.

I've taken out the clunge (and she was happy to be out of the house, to be honest) but I can't get a proper picture, for love, nor money.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Oooh! An expert! Let's have your views on this one.

Moved into the house about 25 years ago and soon discovered that the heating system (general term) made lots of loud banging noises - usually when the timer clicks on or when the thermostat kicks in. I drained the system, got rid of loads of sludge, refilled adding Fernox and all was well for a few weeks. Then the banging returned. So I drained the system, got rid of more sludge, refilled adding Fernox and anti-knock. Fine for a few more weeks, then the banging returned.

Resorted to British Gas, with whom I have a maintenance contract. "It's the boiler." New boiler, a few weeks, banging noises started again.

I've noticed that the hot water header tank collects limescale (as in, it's dumped out through the breather(?) pipe that returns into the tank). I'm guessing that there's a problem with the hot water side of the system as opposed to the heating side and so anti-knock isn't going to help. But what is the problem and how to resolve? (British Gas's standard answer is "Need a new boiler").

Cheap answers preferred, please.

PS. It's a very hard water area.

4. That will be the Austrian woman in the basement with a hammer, signalling that she wants to go home.

.-.. . - / -- . / --- ..- - / -.-- --- ..- / --- .-.. -.. / .--. . .-. ...- . .-. -

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just what we needed a expert for questioning. My heating system keeps losing pressure but we cant see why nothing obvious leaking and such. Lots of lovely hot water just low pressure any ideas?

Yours A_A

6. No, it doesn't sound like that. At first it made a noise like .-- .- - . .-. --..-- / .-- .- - . .-. but that wasn't related to the thermostat and anyway, it stopped after a few days.

7. Oh Shit! trust me to open my mouth.....

Puttees, are you saying that the pipe that comes up and over the header tank is pouring out water into the tank when the heating comes on?

That is called "pumping over" and is caused by the pipework being badly designed so that the pump is forcing water up the vent pipe and back into the system, carrying oxygen as it goes, a bit like the pump that oxygenates an aquarium...... deadly to a heating system, it rots the radiators, which is what the sludge is....a form of iron oxide which blocks the waterways in a boiler.

This is something which should be sorted first, it causes rads to rot through in a very short time.

AA.. I assume it's a combi that is losing pressure, is it fairly quick, like a day?

First thing to try is fill it to say 2 bar, then using the instructions, turn off the flow and return valves on the heating pipes just under the boiler, (make sure the boiler is turned off)

If the pressure drops, open up the 2 valves again, if the pressure rises, it's the pressure vessel, which is used to buffer the pressure rise when the heating comes on.

An external one can be fitted, but if the combi is old or a crap make it's best to replace the boiler.

Right back to the SA Chenin Blanc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It's not a combi and the house is only 5 years old. It is a gledhill boiler mate if that is any use.

9. AA, like most one man bands, we pick out areas that we know we can make a living out of and turn down the rest.

There are a lot of builders, arcitects etc out there who fit shite and walk away, never to go back, specifying by coercion or bribery in the opinion of many of us.

Here is one you could try, it could be as simple as no top up water, also there are forums like DIYNOT that could help.

Gledhill BoilerMate thermal stores in detail

10. Thanks Vinnie. Seen as you did it virtually have a virtual tenner for your time.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hmmm. How to describe it?

I have two header tanks. One is for the radiators and seems OK. The other is for the hot water and is the one that collocts lumps of limescale. I'm guessing that the limescale may be coming from the overflow/pressure relief (?) pipe that feeds into the top of the tank, but it may be coming up the pipe that feeds into the boiler (i.e. backwards). I don't know as I've never been able to rush up to the tanks and contort myself into the necessary position to view when it happens.

After leaving the boiler, the pipework is hidden from view inside a blockwork riser that goes up to the top of the middle floor (3 floor house). The pipes must then run under the floorboards for about 10' before entering the airing cupboard. It's probably here where any pipe expansion noises must take place, given that there must be at least 2 vertical and one horizontal bend to route the pipes. But the noise isn't like pipe expansion, it's more like water boiling (or air bubbling) in a vessel. I can't track down where the noise originates as it sounds fairly similar throughout the house. The only thing I can be sure of is that it's not related to the radiator part of the system (which includes the pump) as it continues to be noisy when the heating is turned off. (There was an additional noise that related to the pump but I've sorted that by putting the pump on a slower speed).

12. I'm surprised BG didn't suggest a power-flush, it seems to be their stock response. Even for a dripping tap. :)

13. VTMC, seeing as you have put yourself forward as 'The All Seeing Eye' can you sort out my

little problem? every time I open our Fridge, there is a fcuking big Rat gawping at me,

making kissy kissy faces, this does not really bother me but the bwasterd looks uncannily

like PRT, to date it has only spoke once......."******* Hat"

What should I do, oh, Supreme Being?

14. I have a back boiler that's never played up serviced every year
    One rad in the bath room is always on
    All of a sudden the rad in my bed room has gone in to over drive and is hot enough to fry an egg on I have turned it off but the sodding thing is still boiling away I have to have the windows open and a bloody fan going at mac 50 any ides?