Time to say Thank You Mr Atkins

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well written without being smulchy. How many of us serving and ex-serving, Regular and Reserve, have NOT thought exactly the same.

And their charity drive is for SSAFA an organisation which is close to all our hearts I'm sure. High profile reports like this can do us nothing but good.

Had started to wander away from the point with Clarkson/Sun/blokes going on leave etc. Thought I might start again in hope of letting the Monty Python-script writers play there and serious discussion here.

OldRedCap said:
Had started to wander away from the point with Clarkson/Sun/blokes going on leave etc. Thought I might start again in hope of letting the Monty Python-script writers play there and serious discussion here.
OK see your point check your PMs

Just looked up the poem quoted from Kipling its quite shocking how things havent changed in over a hundred years. Were only wanted when theres a war on and they'll move heaven and earth to get us to it. How many times have you been turned away from bars with the words sorry no squaddies allowed? How quickly the British public forget things like the fire strike or foot and mouth or any other dirty job weve been called in to do. I dont know about the rest of you but i sometimes begrudged working for such ungrateful barstewards.

ORC
If you go back to your link, a few more people have posted comments. This one is quite good despite the political agenda of a serving councillor.
A well written article, entirely apposite to this time. Without question, these past weeks have been controversial ones for supporters of the British and American presence in Iraq. First, in October, a medical report commissioned by The Lancet estimated that some 655,000 Iraqis had been killed as a result of the invasion in 2003. Then, in a sensational interview the Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, broke ranks with the government. The army chief claimed that the intervention had been ‘naïve’, that UK troops ‘exacerbate’ security problems in Iraq and elsewhere in the world and that ‘we should get ourselves out some time soon’.

Despite the fact that we entered Iraq on the basis of lies to Parliament by Tony Blair, we went there and as an ex-regular Grenadier Guardsman and a Conservative, I considered it was the duty of the UK to stand by its Forces until the ‘job was done’.

Since then the UK Forces have been, and are, grossly under equipped in such a fashion that the extra pay the government has recently authorised (whilst most welcome) doesn’t provide added safeguards. Indeed, in the last few days as part of the Dimbleby Lecture, General Sir Mike Jackson, the former Army chief, condemned the lack of support given to the armed forces by the Government and the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

The British Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force are crucial to the protection of the nation and to the defence of freedom. All around the world British people lay their lives on the line to serve their country, and it is shameful that their reward for doing their job with the utmost
professionalism is neglect. Because they bravely struggle on to success despite the failings of Government, the MoD seems to think this justifies continued under funding.

Those who fight on our behalf deserve good pay, the best equipment and strong medical and personal support. That they are all too often denied those things is a disgrace.

I regard the statement by Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt to be entirely appropriate. Unlike WW1, these UK Service personnel are not “lions led by donkeys”, they are “lions led by a lion”. Perhaps it’s time to consider deploying some of our Service personnel on homeland security duties?

The lack of experience in the Armed Services by any responsible Labour politician means that they have been and are speaking from where the sun doesn’t shine. The British people have generally given unconditional support to our people on armed service. We should now give them and their Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt every support in expediting what he has said.
Posted by Cllr Keith Standring on December 9, 2006 4:30 PM

Edited fr spling

Priam said:
ORC
If you go back to your link, a few more people have posted comments. This one is quite good despite the political agenda of a serving councillor.
A well written article, entirely apposite to this time.
One does not need to read past here. He agrees. He amplifies. What he does not do is state any definite plan of action. The politicians will run the wars their way - we have seen what that means. There seems to be a uniformity as to what needs to be done and what we should be looking for is a way if achieving those ends. If more helicopters are needed - get them. Get them now. No pfaffing about. I'm sure the Yanks have spares. I'm sure the Russians have spares. Buy them. We have the other NATO forces sitting on their arrses who doubtless have resources our guys could use to better effect. Take them away from them, buy them, lease them - whatever. We have seen the report given to Bush as to his options and general opinion - to me - seems it will end in West Wing lavatory. Seems B'liar doesn't think much of it. We need to draw up our own committe for change. The old Foreign office camel corps - the 50'odd guys who wrote out about what rubbish Iraq invasion would be need to drawn up something which is face saving for both sides and get us out and away.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3
PartTimePongo Infantry 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 0