Time to recognise the Taliban are the Government of Afghanistan.

Serious head on for a moment, when it comes to the current state of Afghanistan, there are no good options and there are no least worst options; everything is bad for the immediate optics and probable long-term future.

So far as I can see every option that might be taken concerning Afghanistan from this point in has a shit outcome.

Provide aid and the current dysfunctional regime gets propped up, gets to cause chaos for a few more years and the world has more refugees.

Recognise the regime and it gets some money, gets to cause chaos for a few more years and the world has more refugees.

Do nothing and the dysfunctional regime causes chaos for a while before imploding and the world has a starving country and more refugees.

Happy to be disabused, but I would argue that there are no good options and whether we recognise the regime or not will make no difference to the descent into hell that the Afghan people are now set on.

I don’t have a solution, but then I don’t think there is one, however I don’t think recognising the Taliban (from a geopolitical point of view) is a good idea.

Shit will happen, but I see no reason to appease the shit makers.

Serious head on for a moment, when it comes to the current state of Afghanistan, there are no good options and there are no least worst options; everything is bad for the immediate optics and probable long-term future.

So far as I can see every option that might be taken concerning Afghanistan from this point in has a shit outcome.

Provide aid and the current dysfunctional regime gets propped up, gets to cause chaos for a few more years and the world has more refugees.

Recognise the regime and it gets some money, gets to cause chaos for a few more years and the world has more refugees.

Do nothing and the dysfunctional regime causes chaos for a while before imploding and the world has a starving country and more refugees.

Happy to be disabused, but I would argue that there are no good options and whether we recognise the regime or not will make no difference to the descent into hell that the Afghan people are now set on.

I don’t have a solution, but then I don’t think there is one, however I don’t think recognising the Taliban (from a geopolitical point of view) is a good idea.

Shit will happen, but I see no reason to appease the shit makers.
I think time is running out for Afghans as far as the refugee option is concerned. Nobody wants them. Walls are being built and pushback is happening all over Europe's borders, UN Convention on Refugees and EU law be dammed. Turkey is building a wall on its border with Iran as it doesn't want them stuck in Turkey causing a backlog trying to get to Europe. Iran and Pakistan have large Afghan refugee communities from as far back as the eighties and nineties and don't want anymore. Afghans are just going to have to sort their own shit out.

Unfortunately though, I think the West pushed on by the NGO gravy train just won't be able to stop meddling with its human rights neo colonialism.

Essentially we should have recognised them when Ivan left.
If we wanted to keep them out and allow Afghanistan to develop into a prosperous outward looking nation, we should have recognised the Najibullah regime.

At least non-Taliban Afghans were prepared to fight for it, unlike our own puppet.

So they will magically become competent administrators if we say "Ok you're legit."? How does having frozen assets prevent Afghan Farmers from farming?
The biggest problem at the moment is that the US have frozen the international financial system to prevent financial institutions, American or otherwise, from transferring money to or from Afghanistan. Without that traders cannot trade and the economy grinds to a halt. Also NGOs cannot pay aid workers or buy goods and services inside Afghanistan so nobody's aid, ours or anyone else's, can reach there.

In other words, we are currently doing to Afghanistan the thing which we said we would do to utterly devastate Russia if they invaded Ukraine. This the West is currently claiming to be the biggest stick in our arsenal to be used against the biggest threats.

We don't have to help Afghanistan, we are just being asked to stop threatening to throw in prison anyone who does try to help them or trade with them.

964ST

LE
Why do we not use a method that inspires confidence and trust?

In school it was called "keys", if you promise something whilst clenching your hands in the "thumbs-up" position it does not count!

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with the OP, however wouldn't the poppy crop be a stumbling block to recognition ?

Afghanistan is perfectly capable of growing sufficient food for itself yet farmers continue to grow opium poppies for export. Afghan markets are full of fruit and vegetables,so they are capable of doing farming and feeding themselves. It's up to them, not Britain.
It will be very interesting to see if the Taliban reintroduce the banning of opium production. They have had a couple of decades of opium wealth to consider before deciding that their own people should be able to feed themselves

I haven't the slightest clue how to un-**** Afghanistan, or at least render it not as 'bad', though not recognising the Taliban as the government yet ploughing hundreds of millions of aid into the country to me seems ridiculous. Is it virtue signalling or guilt from our latest disastrous foray into the place? Nobody wants these refugees, so rather than millions of people displacing themselves all over Eurasia, work with the latest tinpot dictatorship so that more people will feel inclined to want to live in their home nation - just like the UK government works with the shortbread senate to stop millions of Scots going into poverty and mass exodusing to England (not really a suitable analogy as England throws billions at us anyway).

Large segments of the world's population simply don't want or can't function with Western style governance and ideals. Rather than continuing to foist systems on countries and people that are incompatible with their ideologies, just accept that the world is a bad place and frequently it's about choosing the least horrible option such as not interfering in the affairs of these places and leaving them to it.

Obviously a lot of rich and powerful people involved in the military industrial complex can't prosper if everyone's practicing isolationism so we'll continue to get involved in these pointless jaunts.

We left them enough cash in kind, all they need to do is sell the US state of the art kit to other unpleasant regimes and they have more than enough to get on with.
That's exactly what they are doing from what I heard recently. China, Russia and possibly Iran, buying Western kit from Terry at knock down prices.

That's exactly what they are doing from what I heard recently. China, Russia and possibly Iran, buying Western kit from Terry at knock down prices.
Not surprised, along with selling off plots of mining land to China that should see them through (Taliban) not sure about those on the margins who seem to be selling their children and organs to stay alive. Horrific state of affairs, note to First world Governments don't go meddling in overseas ventures - it doesn't work!

964ST

LE
Biden has made a statement which is now set in stone!

"Hey Mr Taliban, Taliei me Banana" Whats your ******* point?

Biden has made a statement which is now set in stone!

"Hey Mr Taliban, Taliei me Banana" Whats your ******* point?
Worse still is the truth, the state dept have voiced concerns about the lack of females in their leadership

"The State Department on Tuesday expressed concerns over the makeup of the new interim Afghan government announced by the Taliban, including the lack of female leaders and the past actions of some of those appointed to top posts"

Does anyone who’s ever been there really care?

Latest Threads