Time to process new retrospective pension claim

I turned 60 last September, and totally forgot to claim my Army pension, I left in 1988.

Veterans UK wrote to me telling me that I was entitled to a pension and sent me a retrospective claim form (AFPS Pen Form 8b), which I've filled in and returned.

I'm just wondering if anybody has an idea of how long it takes to process such a claim? I did ring them but they only offered help to fill the form out and couldn't give me a timeframe.

1 (7).jpg

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
If you were claiming on time they would ask you to submit the form 3 months before your 60th. That gives them time to retrieve and check their records before they start work on the 60th birthday. Because your claim is late, they haven't got the lead time and I am guessing that that is why they will not give you a firm steer on timescales.

In connection with my Veterans Gateway work I see quite a few cases where people did not know they had a pension and claim late. I make a point of going back to them 3 months after sending them the claim form and all those eligible confirm that they have had both pension payments and the lump sum. Based on this, I would expect your claim to be dealt with within 8-12 weeks of submitting your claim form.

Does that help?

If you were claiming on time they would ask you to submit the form 3 months before your 60th. That gives them time to retrieve and check their records before they start work on the 60th birthday. Because your claim is late, they haven't got the lead time and I am guessing that that is why they will not give you a firm steer on timescales.

In connection with my Veterans Gateway work I see quite a few cases where people did not know they had a pension and claim late. I make a point of going back to them 3 months after sending them the claim form and all those eligible confirm that they have had both pension payments and the lump sum. Based on this, I would expect your claim to be dealt with within 8-12 weeks of submitting your claim form.

Does that help?

Thank you, it most certainly does. A quality answer.

I assume from your ARRSE user name you're part of Forces Pension Society?

I'm a member and when I first received the retrospective claim form I emailed the FPS for assistance, the response I received (after waiting seven days for a reply) wasn't very good or helpful, neither was the phone call I eventually received another week later, after I had already returned the form.

I'm not knocking you, I know the society does a lot of good work, but my only experience of dealing with it wasn't very good at all. Bad enough to make me cancel my annual direct debit.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
I am glad to have helped s_n_l_r and I am sorry that you feel the Society didn't meet your expectations on the occasion mentioned above. We have a very small team of consultants dealing with over 1000 enquiries each month, and unfortunately it can sometimes take us longer to respond during our busiest times, and we do so in date order, so that the system is fair. We do pride ourselves on the personalised service that we provide, and are passionate about what we do, so we were very disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction. We would be interested to know more, so that this doesn’t happen again. If you would like to speak about this further please send a message to Jo at joannefb@forpen.co.uk who will be happy to speak privately about this.

Latest Threads