Time to Get Rid of Traffic Lights?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JoeCivvie, May 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting piece from the Beeb:

2. The stupid traffic lights on rounabouts should be the very first to go! Particularly those ones that are not signposted.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It wouldn't work, as human nature and selfishness would rear it's head! Over here (Germany) we have Rechts vor Links - right before left, there are enough problems with that and that is in the 30Kmh zones - sod trying it in any higher speeds!

Another way of looking at it, is how poorly dual carriageways filter down at roadworks. Instead of the 'zipper effect' coming into play and traffic moving reasonably, everyone demands that they have the right of not letting anyone in!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Get rid of all road signs, markings and lights. Apparently this does not lead to a Darwinesque survival of the fittest and death and destruction on a huge scale.

Works in Holland. Drachten to be precise.

Is this the end of the road for traffic lights? - Telegraph

Good to see the UK is only about 5 years behind the curve.
  5. Stairfoot Rarndabart - High Quality - YouTube
    Yes quite, there's a song about that.
  6. Well they'd better behave themselves next week when I turn up then. My passport clearly says '...without let or hindrance...'
    • Like Like x 4
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Boris instigated removal of sequenced lights at some major routes with minor junctions (Linehouse link etc) during his first stint in office. It works, there are lights which are pedestrian activated only and the route journey time has been reduced. Here in Gods waiting room we have a new road layout (about 10 years old now) near me. They cant sequence the lights properly as they redisgned a simple junction making it complex leaving drivers facing a red with no converging routes ahead. Causes nothing but bewilderment and maybe frustration.
    Most town traffic planners cant see past the old designs and regs and need to risk assess each installation in the same way that a railway signalling designer would (or close to), this would allow for removal of traffic signals which protect nothing!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Instinctively, we want to be kind to each other, especially out on the road. When you first meet a stranger, unless you're a mugger, you want to be nice to that stranger.

Where the hell does he live? Nicely St. Nice? And given the alarming rise in half blind coffin dodgers bumbling about in silly little cars I'd say traffic lights are keeping many of us alive. Most of them cant drive even with the aid of lights to spoon feed them.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Having seen the amount of spastics on the road that drive as though they got their license in a lucky bag no i dont think it is time to get rid of traffic lights. The article is a pile of tripe and any courteous, competent, experienced driver can go about their daily lives without traffic lights being a hindrance. A good driver would not speed up to beat the lights, ignore someone attempting to cross the road or pay more attention to a green light than the road itself etc...
    Im sure a large majority on here have seen the mayhem that can erupt at a busy junction when the lights are out. And they would trust all drivers to think for themselves and use common sense by getting rid of a traffic control system? No thanks.
    Remember, if sense was common then everyone would have it.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Interesting however many places have seen the lights go, first by removing them to part time only status esp at roundabouts which in anyones mind shouldnt have lights and in other places where no converging routes exist.
    This leaves the lights in places such as pedestrian crossings and lights solely for traffic regulation into large towns and cities removed unless they are for junction protection.
    You cant stop people being ********* behind the wheel, they arent enough coppers and courts for that but you can ease congestion by removing them where they exist for traffic regulation only.
  11. Ample research proving this has been around for twenty years or more. I suspect that no Council will voluntarily relinquish the vast budget they squander on these devices, not to mention all the agreeable lunches, fact-finding trips etc that i'm sure the manufacturers are happy to arrange.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well it has been shown that the money pot isnt any bigger in fact its getting less so smart use of traffic control and money saved can be used to fund other jollies I mean vital council works.
  14. I couldn't agree more, as someone who travels anything up to 20,000 mile around this blessed isle each year I am repeatedly stunned by the number of places sporting inappropriate traffic lights often where an untrained monkey could have discerned a roundabout as more appropriate to maintain the flow of traffic. I get the feeling there are manufacturers offering lots of nice business lunches, conferences and 'encouragement' to convince the planning muppets that lights are the best solution to a non existent problem!

Incidentally I was recently at a construction conference and found myself at dinner plonked next to a traffic planner, when we got onto the subject of how crap he must be at his job (despite his many qualifications including aspects of queueing theory etc) someone at the table suggested to him that the rate of traffic flow could easily be increased, at this point he put his hand up and suggested his job wasn't to increase the rate of traffic flow but to assure a safe rate of flow, his job was to protect us from ourselves often by decreasing the rate of flow, hence traffic lights offer a great solution! What are they teaching these people?