Time to ensure that your car is insured

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. I can't see it making much difference. Those who flaunt the law will flaunt the law. It might make a difference if they crushed every uninsured vehicle with no exceptions.
  3. I thought we had seen an end to bullshit like this when the government changed.
    Won't make any difference to the criminal element who buy cheap cars and don't register them in their own name (or at all)
    Like SORN, it only penalises the honest who make a mistake and does nothing to catch or penalise those who set out to break the law.

More bullshit law that will make no difference to real criminals.
  4. That wouldn't work either, it only catch's those who have the vehicle registered in their own name, detection is heavily reliant on ANPR systems and not much on Plod actually catching them.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They should ban all illegal guns while they at it.......
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

There was a great debate on this a while ago when I was a member of the MG Owners club.

It's another pain in the arrse that legislators dream up to punish those who abide by the law but now might be caught out.

Classic car owners are a great example of where this law will catch out the unwary. Classic cars are Tax exempt, but you still need to tax them (at 0 rate) each year, a lot of classic drivers don't use the car over winter and so just take out a 6 month insurance policy. Now they will have to declare SORN for the time they don't insure the car for....it may be in the garage with the engine out for a refurb but if it isn't insured but still taxed you will risk it being dragged away and crushed.

Barking mad idea in my mind, a stage further on from the madness of SORN.

7. That about sums it up.
  8. I'm not a fan of big Government databases, but I do think this will make a difference.

The issue at the moment is they have to catch a person driving without insurance to charge them with anything. This will mean that they can look at the insurance database and immediately draw up a list of uninsured cars.

The scale of the problem with uninsured drivers is massive. There are an estimated 1-2 million uninsured drivers in the UK, and uninsured drivers are statistically much more likely to be involved in an accident. If you're hit by one, you're screwed. You can chase the other party personally for the money, but in reality they won't pay and you'll have to claim on your own insurance, assuming you're covered.

9. It will still do nothing to catch those who don't register the vehicle in their own name.
    It won't change anything other than to generate a few million in fines from people who don't fill in the paerwork on time.
    A year after it is implemented there will still be as many un-insured and un-registered cars on the road.
  10. The chances of a classic car with the engine removed being stopped on the road by the police is pretty remote though so I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

Vehicles found on the public highway with no insurance should be dropped straight in the shredder.
  11. Sympathetic_Reaction

You are missing the point of the thread. There is a new law coming into force that says if your car is not SORN'd then it must be insured...whether it is being driven/on the road or not. They will do a check of the DVLA database and the Insurance database and if a car comes up on the first but not the other, they can turn up at your house, take the car (which is in the garage being fixed) and crush it....end of.

12. Wonder what the rules will be for those vehicles only ever used on private property? I thought they didn't need insurance?

If your version is right then it is a stupid idea but I still think that vehicles being driven on the public highway with no insurance should be dropped straight in the shredder.
  13. The plan is that if it isn't insured it must be SORN'd or you will be fined. Regardless of where it is kept or what you do with it.

Vehicles used on the public highway without insurance can already be confiscated and crushed.

This new law will not penalise the dishonest.
    Its really easy, get yourself on Ebay an
    nd troll though until you find yourself something you fancy where the seller doesn't have the full V5 and go buy it with nice crisp tenners.
    Drive off and do your own thing, no tax, no insurance, no V5, no problem and this new law does nothing to catch those that chose to do that.

14. I have 1 classic car I keep taxed all year and insured just for summer use as well as 4 all together classic bikes I keep SORN'd, (show only bikes), and 4 spare frames,engines I will now also have to keep SORN'd. Right pain in the fundemental.
  15. Sympathetic_Reaction

I remember a bloke I helped out a while back, had 5 cars officially SORN'd at his house (2 bed terrace with a one car garage), the fact that all he owned physically were the numberplates, the vin plates and some specific parts (engine block, gearboxes) didn't exclude him from having to re-SORN them every year.

What a barking mad system.