• Commonwealth status

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Full rule from Westminster

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Home rule from Stormont

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters
Nobody is getting "cut loose".

Firstly the majority of citizens of Northern Ireland do not support a UI and secondly the Republic isn’t ready for it.
Brexit changed everything and completely upended the political dynamics on both sides of the border. It changed the nature of the relationship between London and Dublin - leaving it tetchier than it has been for 35 years.

Sinn Fein clearly has a plan for the ‘new’ Ireland: but Sinn Fein doesn’t speak for the Irish government or the Irish people. It doesn’t even speak for a majority in Northern Ireland.

But you try persuading a majority of citzens who proudly identify as British. They will have a new head of state. A new way of being governed. A new currency. A new health service. New political parties. And what, for example, is the constitutional priority of a unionist party in a united Ireland? There isn’t one. The other people involved in all of this are the electorate of the South. They will not want a disgruntled unionism and a whole host of problems to deal with. Let’s not forget, either, that unionists in a united Ireland would form a substantial and important voting bloc and would, inevitably, have an influence in the Dail which could change the internal dynamics in a number of ways – some of which could be surprising.

There are hundreds of questions for Nationalists to address before they can put a case for Northern Ireland seceding from the Union with the UK to join with the Republic of Ireland

What happens to the NHS

Would a United Ireland be a unitary State or would there still be a devolved Stormont?

What happens to Northern Irish civil servants, firemen, police officers etc?

What happens on pensions and benefits?

What about the subvention Northern Ireland receives – could the South afford it?

Will the Union flag be hoisted alongside the Tri Colour on the Dail in the name of parity and equality?

Will there be a new agreed all-Ireland flag?

Will there be a new agreed all-Ireland National Anthem?

Will all citizens be entitled to dual British & Irish citizenship and passports?

What happens to the cross-border bodies?

Will mandatory powersharing be implemented in the Dail?

Will their be an all-Ireland parades commission?

So, no lads- its not as simple as "cutting ulster loose".
Oh and PS, the poll options are retarded.
Not quite as many issues as Brexit then but that is going to happen.

Oddly enough I think that because Scotland is less segregated the impact to the individual can be more in your face and long lasting
I wouldn't bet on that. I grew up in a Protestant monoculture and the first Tim I knew in person was a fellow recruit at Glencorse. Prior to that, they'd been just, 'Them feen-yins ower therr.'

Look if you’re serious about cutting Ulster loose. Can we have Barnier doing our negotiating.
Thanks
You can have Boris. That'll learn yez.

ugly

LE
Look if you’re serious about cutting Ulster loose. Can we have Barnier doing our negotiating.
Thanks
You'll end up with feck all!

ugly

LE
I wouldn't bet on that. I grew up in a Protestant monoculture and the first Tim I knew in person was a fellow recruit at Glencorse. Prior to that, they'd been just, 'Them feen-yins ower therr.'
Thats not the impression I got, new estates seemed to be mixed in my experience.

Thats not the impression I got, new estates seemed to be mixed in my experience.
Fair play, there's much more mixing than the 30-harrumph years ago I was talking of but I still wouldn't walk round certain parts of the East End without a visible sign of Popery on display and the least said about Larkhall the better*.

*Good advice regardless of the topic.

Someone on this board told me it didn't exist anymore...tea went up my nose as I'd just been accused of being a race traitor (sic) because I'm a proddy Celtic fan. The accuser gives as many fecks about religion as I do as well. You can take the boy out of Larkhall...

Fair play, there's much more mixing than the 30-harrumph years ago I was talking of but I still wouldn't walk round certain parts of the East End without a visible sign of Popery on display and the least said about Larkhall the better*.

*Good advice regardless of the topic.
I frequent and work in both those areas. While there is the visible signs of divide in them i.e. flags etc , the normal every day person going about their own business gets no hassle and certainly doesn't need to wear a crucifix or a Rangers top.

I frequent and work in both those areas. While there is the visible signs of divide in them i.e. flags etc , the normal every day person going about their own business gets no hassle and certainly doesn't need to wear a crucifix or a Rangers top.
I'm under the impression of the majority of the south/north don't give a toss nowadays, a few but not the majority, it's quite a frankly a sh*thole to live either way