• Full rule from Westminster

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Home rule from Stormont

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters

ugly

LE
Could RoI afford to police N.I?
Can we? At the moment there is a £2Bn difference. That would go nicely into cancer research.
It seems I may have misread that, the difference is greater than the total income, £11Bn. Time to cut the purse strings I think!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Shit, however as one of the Leeds lads pointed out in 1983, "The Ballymurphy didn't look half as rough as Middleton" where he lived before joining.
Frankly I have to agree with him, yes the 1970's estates didn't do much but they were still a lot better than we had in Cornwall at the time!
Which bits shit?

Those estates were new estates. There were terraced houses demolished in Belfast in the 90s, which still had an outdoor loo.

ugly

LE
If its done right policing isn’t the problem. Pre troubles in 1968 we had one murder and that was front page news for a fortnight.
Ah but the peelers had tanks and machine guns and the B Specials.

ugly

LE
Which bits shit?

Those estates were new estates. There were terraced houses demolished in Belfast in the 90s, which still had an outdoor loo.
All of it, the new bits I mentioned were poleglass etc, the older newish bits like Ballymurphy and Turf Lodge were shit but still better than Adswood or Middleton, or Langney in Middleton. I started life in a back to back two up two down outside khazi in Newton Heath. I didn't throw petrol bombs at Coppers though! I had enough experience of the Beechmounts, around Springfield road etc. All shitty but better than where many of us came from.

Can we? At the moment there is a £2Bn difference. That would go nicely into cancer research.
It seems I may have misread that, the difference is greater than the total income, £11Bn. Time to cut the purse strings I think!
You can say the same about Wales, Scotland and parts of England. A self-sufficient UK would be much smaller.

ugly

LE
You can say the same about Wales, Scotland and parts of England. A self-sufficient UK would be much smaller.
The sooner the better, let them have their independence, suits me down to the ground!

Perhaps in light of recent developments with the EU and the unionist parties getting all upset about the border its time we had an independence referendum to sort out the status of the province and gave them full independence or some sort of channel island like status.
Please feel free to vote, but remember this isn't the naafi and try to explain your views in a civilised manner
Bugger!

You do realise this means I'm going to have to read the thread, and think a bit. Whilst pissed, on account of only having a nine hour day, today.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
All of it, the new bits I mentioned were poleglass etc, the older newish bits like Ballymurphy and Turf Lodge were shit but still better than Adswood or Middleton, or Langney in Middleton. I started life in a back to back two up two down outside khazi in Newton Heath. I didn't throw petrol bombs at Coppers though! I had enough experience of the Beechmounts, around Springfield road etc. All shitty but better than where many of us came from.

Decades ago, recently arrived officer during a search on the lower falls, surveying the area. Looked around him and said something like ‘My God, how do people live like this’. I think the soldier who was standing beside him could have explained it to him.

But there’s been a lot of changes mostly for the better. I got bushwhacked by a friends kid brother recently. Now all grown up, he made me promise to go and see his mum, new house, Springfield Rd.

Had tea and biccies, got a tour of the house, choice of kitchen, fireplace and gas something or other. Other brother showed up, serious Shinner.

It turns out to keep things straight, if they built so many catholic houses they built so many Protestant houses. Only in the Protestant houses there was no choice of fixtures. The local organisation took a levy of so much per house, which made it impossible. I’m not saying the Republicans didn’t get a security payment, but certainly not enough to impact on the quality of the housing.

Being American I do not have a horse in this race. I visited NI a four times between 1967 and 1971, a beautiful place. I visited briefly on Monday, January 31st, 1972. My ferry to Larne arrived at dawn and as I had been on trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow and Glasgow to Stranraer on the 30th I had no idea of the events in Derry. Belfast seemed a bit tense that Monday so I decided to take the next train to Dublin from Belfast despite a delay as apparently the army had to remove an IED from the tracks. Interesting times! I did not visit NI for years after that as I did not think it was a place I wanted to visit with a wife and child in tow.
I next visited NI last summer, touring with my son. Beautiful place, nice people and peaceful. My son had booked us into hotels far posher than would have chosen but the trip was his birthday present to me. I got the impression that most there were sick of the paramilitaries of any sort. Only mementos of the troubles seemed to be red hand flags and murals in the area just east of Belfast on our drive to Slieve Donard in Down.

It is hard to imagine NI being a success as an independent country. In size it is a bit larger than Montenegro and bit smaller than East Timor. In population it is larger than Bahrain and smaller than Latvia. If not part of the UK would the industries flourish?? In addition, if independent, they would be without the moderating influence of the people in Whitehall and could sadly descend to the troubled times of the 70's which would be sad.

As to NI uniting with the RoI I a not sure the people of the Republic would really like that. Things are pretty good there at the moment and would they really want the headaches of incorporating a population that might resort to violence. Status Quo, perhaps with direct rule from Westminster might be the best solution.

Of course I still do not comprehend why a people who have fought intermittently for centuries to stop being ruled by Britain but are apparently delighted to be ruled from Brussels by a bunch of French and German politicians so they can provide employment to a bunch of Poles and Lithuanians.

Not my problem but I a beautiful place with nice people and wish them all well. And peace!!!
Arrse - hit post, wrongly.

The eirans have been so anti-britain so long in account of "minor financial readjustments", a few years back, and on account of how we invaded them, pointed out their own chief of supply of "sky pixie" was a twat of the highest water. There's probably also the thing that we no longer approve of the clergy bumming kids.

Oh yeah, and "travellers". We don't like those, either. Take them back, or we're sending in Ed Sheeran!

No more warnings!!!

Last edited:
I've long been an advocate of celtic independence. If two of the three parts wanted to stick together afterwards that would be up to them. It would in a way make sense as a lot of the NI unionists are historically Scots. The Kingdom of Dal Riata even gives it a sort of historical precedence. If you go far enough back the Scotti [and most Scots aren't Scotti] were expelled from Ireland by the Erse so they took soutern Scotland from the Caledones.
The problem is that when the celtic economies tanked they would all want to come to England and it would be tough explaining that we'd rather have the Poles and they could all P*** off.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I've long been an advocate of celtic independence. If two of the three parts wanted to stick together afterwards that would be up to them. It would in a way make sense as a lot of the NI unionists are historically Scots. The Kingdom of Dal Riata even gives it a sort of historical precedence. If you go far enough back the Scotti [and most Scots aren't Scotti] were expelled from Ireland by the Erse so they took soutern Scotland from the Caledones.
The problem is that when the celtic economies tanked they would all want to come to England and it would be tough explaining that we'd rather have the Poles and they could all P*** off.
Can we do it without the addition of a bridge or a tunnel thing. The fact is we’re still getting used to our neighbours in the 26 counties.

Can we do it without the addition of a bridge or a tunnel thing. The fact is we’re still getting used to our neighbours in the 26 counties.
No the first joint project would have to be a massive tunnel [definitely bigger than the English one] as a unifying and bancrupting symbol.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is a precedent, we got rid of the rest of Ireland in a heartbeat and Carson;s "Protestant State for a Protestant People" was a complete and utter bloody mistake.

NI was left to the bigoted Protestant Establishment with little care or concern of the British State or British people.

The net result was a twisted and nasty little statelet run on the lines of Apartheid South Africa.
I take it that you support Celtic? :D