time team

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ordinaryforces, Nov 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone actually watched an episode of "time team" where baldrick aka Tony robinson and his team of weirdos have actually found anything?
    Now I usually find myself watching this on some obscure cable channel at some godforsaken hour..It usually goes along the line of one of them finding a miniscule shard of pottery after digging up the complete neighbourhood, they then deduce that the owner of said pottery lived in a 40 roomed house with servants and 7 chariots,,,,how the fcuk does that work?
    and could that tawt with the knitted pullover not buy a decent one after all the money he's made out of the show? and I also think that that carrot-crunching cnut with the big hat is Gay.

2. I've watched loads of them, and have to agree.
    It seems anyone at all who was buried with any old shite must have been some sort of King or Chief!!!
    Bollox

3. Time Team is an excellent programme though somewhat limited considering they only have three days for the dig. I wouldn't say a pot sherd is all they find. Combined with geophys, archaeological surveying, written records as well as the digging itself a lot can be found out about a particular site. Archaeology is mega.

4. the flying fortress one was worth watching apart from that one - nah

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Wasn't there one that discovered that Colchester actually once had a massive Colliseum (fuck knows how that's spelt), of the chariot racing variety?

6. Time Team have never assumed any skeletal remains found were of nobility. Quite a few ecclesiastical assumptions but no nobility.

7. I might be saying this because I hate tony Robinson........But then again I might be lying :wink:

8. The archaeologists have yet to find Colchester's Colosseum. It's certainly not within its walls at any rate though could be to the east where the old Dutch quarter lies. You're thinking of the circus maximus.

9. He certainly is a Parliamentarian and holds no love for the Royal Family. He is a great bloke though. I met him on a dig on Salisbury Plain years ago.

10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

That's the bugger. It's a few years since I saw that episode.

11. I think the term you're looking for is 'High status' :D
    Everything seems to be classed as that if its a bit big or fancy and they're not quite sure what it is.

12. Time Team=utter crap. That one where they dug the Spitfire up in France and two of the "experts" involved had previously been convicted of grave robbing in the UK.

I agree with Fallschirmjager,archaeology IS great but TT is not archaeology,it's a bunch of self important t0ssers+baldrick.

13. THey've found a few things, I recall a bit of a Roman stone inscription, which was about the only one ever found in that part of the country. I think the reality is that there's bugger all left after a couple of millenia in the ground and anyone who had anything that may have survived, made of bronze or ceramic, probably was high status.

Really? I didn't know that, any names?
    The Spitfire dig was on one of the cable channels recently with many bits cut out.

I recall a documentary (NOT Time Team) in the 80s (I think, may have been Romney Marsh) in which a Hurricane crash site was excavated (by JCB). It was known the pilot was in the aircraft, so no-one official was consulted. The aircraft was dug up, loaded onto a lorry and removed before two baffled looking plods were called to deal with the pilot's remains, that had been left in two black bags.

My respect for the plods declined greatly when they didn't act in a reasonable manner by arresting the cnuts and beating them to a pulp, as I had hoped.

14. They found a roman villa and went back the following year and found more