"Time off" - Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Hedphelym, Jun 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Put simply, My father is currently seriously ill and has been for nearly two months now. I usually show up for every training night/weekend/event and help out during the week, but due to these circumstances my attendance has been pretty lack as of late. I have to travel to see him in hospital, and usually spend a couple days at least looking after his home and making sure I get to see him as much possible. My worry is that some people at my unit (That aren't fully aware of the situation) are starting to think I'm becoming a bit of jack bastard. After all, I was basically seen at the unit's dogs bod but now they make it out like I'm letting them down if I don't help out with "unit admin" during the week.

    It's getting to the point where I'm thinking that I should leave so I can devote more effort to helping my dad - But someone suggested that I can ask for a period of time off instead of leaving, which would be ideal for me as I don't want to drop the TA, but I am aware that if someone doesn't show up for a couple of months at my unit they are put down for kit collection.

    I have tried asking at my unit but have been given no straight answers. So has anyone done this or is aware of the process of asking for a period of time to be excused from training? What timescales are acceptable before some form of refresher training is involved?

    Many thanks,

  2. Hi Mate.

    Firstly im sorry to hear of your dad, secondly i would ASAP ask to see your UWO or your OC and explain the situation to them fully. I take it your a TA Soldier so im not sure on the compansionate leave rules but in the Regular Army the CO can give upto 28 days and then apply for longer if your situation warrents it.

    They may also be able to offer you some kind of welfare support, besttalk to them ASAP.

  3. Sorry to hear about your Dad chap, I think you can write to your OC asking for an absence of leave giving your reasons. A couple of guys in my unit hae done this and it was all fine. I'm sure in your situation this will be ok. Remember family first, then work, then the TA.
  4. msr

    msr LE

    Sorry to hear about your old man, just write to your OC and request a 6 month leave of absence.

    Don't forget you have access to the Padre, SSAFA and other agencies: your OC should put you in touch with them if s/he is aware fo the circumstances.

    If you need any more info, PM me.

  5. Have a quiet word with your CSM/SSM, he can put down directly any concerns from the OR's. A letter of absence to the OC is the way forward and your PSAO should be able to assist too. you should find (hopefully) that the boys will support you in any way they can.

    good luck to your dad.
  6. Thanks for the help and kind words guys, much appreciated. I will get right on it. Thanks again.