Time for the Bundesmacht?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The Bundeswehr is up for it - but the German people and the politians who represent them are essentially pacifist. No German politian could survive comitting troops in the same way UK has.
    Merkel is walking a line and very slowly upping the ante - but even keeping troops in theatre and sustaining a few casulties has her on the political ropes...

3. They should just empty the skin heads out of their worst jails and form a dirty dozen type unit with a motto like "Toten Macht Frei!". They could go and take the Taliban on in the same way the Russians did 20 years ago.

They could even give themselves a name with 'Erdleweisse' in it.

4. "Don't do what we tell you, do what we want you to do"? I don't see what's so sacrosanct about NATO that no nation should be able to make up their own mind about what to commit. It's not as if any of the nations taking the lead here have never decided not to be bound by a Treaty - Kyoto, anyone? As I recall it, the NATO mission in Afghanistan was originally quite different and changed because certain governments decided to 'creep' it without agreement of the other signatories.

Basically, the lesson is never take support for granted and you won't be disappointed. It'll wind up being pretty harsh on our lads and lassies shouldering an increasing burden, but that's international politics for you and not the German's problem - they're doing exactly what they agreed to do and by all accounts doing it well.

And comparing casualty lists is a pretty low blow. I find body-bag politics particularly distasteful from armchair pundits like the author.