Time for our own Military Hospitals again?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Back to cold war status after this year.
No need there'll be plenty of medics cutting about the NHS wards.
It'll be right

We should never have got rid of the BMH network in the first place.

Military hospitals were an needless expense. The system works well at the moment.

Any drop in care is highlighted to the CoC.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Military hospitals were an needless expense. The system works well at the moment.

Any drop in care is highlighted to the CoC.

Perhaps in the UK but a necessity in places like Hong Kong, BAOR, Nepal.

Oops, showing my age a bit there!

jim30

LE
Its worth noting that the House of Commons Defence Select Committee, no friend of the MOD or Government has often looked at this issue, and each time concluded that the present arrangements are far better than what went before. That should be quite telling!

Petardier

War Hero
Military hospitals in UK were a very expensive way of delivering the service. The root problem was that to be a hospital you have to deliver a full spectrum of services in order to comply with BMA requirements for doctor's 'in-service' development. Some of these mandatory services are irrelevant to the military demographic.

Military hospitals in UK were a very expensive way of delivering the service. The root problem was that to be a hospital you have to deliver a full spectrum of services in order to comply with BMA requirements for doctor's 'in-service' development. Some of these mandatory services are irrelevant to the military demographic.

Its worth noting that the House of Commons Defence Select Committee, no friend of the MOD or Government has often looked at this issue, and each time concluded that the present arrangements are far better than what went before. That should be quite telling!

Speaking as one who remembers the old days, as well as the transition to the current arrangements, and whose wife has nursed in both Military and National Health hospitals, let me just say that you're both spot on.

With the military demographic comprising largely young, fit and active folks, the exposure gained by Army doctors, surgeons and nurses, to all but the most common or minor ailments was pretty minimal - so anyone suffering something out of the ordinary was almost guaranteed to receive sub-optimal treatment.

IMHO, this also meant that Army doctoring could easily be perceived as a bit of a sinecure, and thus attractive as a relatively well-paid career, to such persons as were (shall we say) none-too-professionally-dedicated.

And don't get me started on the mismatch between the ethics and disciplines associated with good medical practice, and those appropriate to combat soldiering.

In Germany we still have military hospitals, but during peacetime they are obvioulsly too big. So, as long as they are not required for mass military casualties, they are also open to the civilian population. E.g. a colleague of mine had his cardiac bypasses done in Koblenz Bundeswehr hospital. They also run emergency ambulances, e.g. in Berlin. If you have an accident there, there is a high chance that the ambulance, the paramedics and the doctor on it are serviing soldiers.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
A bit OTT but the German ambulance system,in Bavaria anyway is run mostly by `charitable´organisations like the Bavarian Red Cross or other pseudo spin offs like the Maltese Cross etc,a massive tax con that bleeds off tax money.Most of the drivers are on absolute minimum wages or are volunteers,this keeps costs down but takes money out of the community as profits are filtered off to the Directors/Politicians(!) and private companies get shafted.

Military hospitals are too expensive and the Quack in JLR´s nearly killed me off,he was a retired RN bumbling idiot in charge of the health of over 300 youngsters,I had to soldier on on ranges with a virus flu that put 8 others in the MRS for 8 or 9 weeks.What doesn´t kill you makes you harder but it was a pretty close thing!The Dentists were good though!

Tongnye

Clanker
  • in answer to midnights comments, mainly about ambulance services in Bavaria, II cannot comment on the big cities ,but out here in the Augsburg ,donauworth area of lederhosen land,our ambulance crews are paramedics ,all very efficient and hands on, the bmh systym worked well outside of uk, never came across any devil maycare doctors or nurses in Singapore ,terendak, rinteln even bmh hannover with its nurses leftover from Wehrmacht medical services still going strong in the late 60,s did their job well!! hope that something gets sorted out quickly, there are too many veterans out there who need help

As a survivor of the Cambridge military hospital , I think you have never been inside one if you think they were good. The food alone would have got a formal complaint from an Auschwitz inmate

Looting med supplies from the many unstaffed wards was helpful though, and the supply of cock hungry nurses was a benefit to the community.

Tongnye

Clanker
Your right in one point food in Cambridge was crap, I served in bmh Singapore and terendak alongside wally woodford,was a long term surgical patient in rinteln and bmh hannover, nothing wrong with the food in those establishments, even had the hussars chefs popping in for cookery lessons,

We had to climb out of the window at night and hobble down town to the KFC, just to keep alive.

I swear to you one cold dried up fish finger, and a scoop of smash was a good dinner in there. Many brave men broke ranks faced with that.

You weren't there man !

We had to climb out of the window at night and hobble down town to the KFC, just to keep alive.

I swear to you one cold dried up fish finger, and a scoop of smash was a good dinner in there. Many brave men broke ranks faced with that.

You weren't there man !

The staff canteen was legendary! Brilliant grub with salad bars, steak bars, omelette bars as well as the main servery giving some of the best the ACC could produce.

Latest Threads