Some of the topics across the boards have been around for some time and have effectively become redundant ... any danger of a weed..sorry for the general G1 guff, but whilst I have broadband and the site generally downloads instantaneously, most others will not and lets face it some of the stuff on here is pretty ARRSE....
Agree that a lot of the posts don't quite hit the quality line but I think thats what a lot of ARRSE is about.  Also believe it or not I don't think the number of posts or threads has any real impact on the site's speed.  Now that we have moved to a new server that appears to have speeded things up anyway.
Moderators do have the facility to remove threads from their boards but I haven't seen anyone doing it (at all) so I think people enjoy browsing old guff!
Guilty as charged.  Sorry leeanne you did actually ask me to do that. Also i had a lot of PMs from board members asking me to do it.  My board. Site rules
I see where you are coming from but so long as 'puters can cope with the size of the site then I say hang onto them.  Apart from the value of retaining evidence of the volume of posts/traffic, I found it very useful and fun to read through a lot of the older stuff when I first registered.