Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a new (to me) car. Small Jap one?

SWMBO was very happy with her 1.2 SEAT Ibiza. When it eventually died, I got her a Chevrolet Kalos. It's not bad for commuting, has the Astra 1.4 16v donkey up front and is rather nippy.

My mum has a 5 year old Fiesta with the 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo lump. Very nippy, but fuel consumption is atrocious and the motor is known as a bit of a kettle past 60k.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Our now 6 year old 1ltr ford B-Max does the job, cruises at 80mph easily, seats 5, sliding rear doors, which means no centre pillar, adjustable everything, fitted with all the latest bells and whistles, and turbo charged, which kicks in instantly.. £30 a year road tax, and about 330 miles on 40 lts of petrol. Tidy sized boot, heated windows and all round air bags, and the wing mirrors fold in when you lock the car, what's not to like.

Did I mention it only has 3 cylinders.

Rab_C

War Hero
I have a 1.2 Swift and swear by it. Round town and short motorway runs it absolutely fine and good mpg. Road tax is minimal as is insurance.

Whenever you're stuck in traffic in a long line of cars it's 50:50 whether it's a cyclist or a Nissan somethingorother driven by the kind of mong who would buy the damned thing in the first place at the front.

Edited for accuracy.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
My current car is a Skoda Octavia, ok I've had it as a lease car from new and it isn't small. The only thing to complain about is the retards in the dealership "accidentally" setting the service interval incorrectly.

Twice.

And generally being crap.

Had a Suzuki vitara in cyprus as I was going undercover as a hairdresser.
I did have to replace a fuse once.

My wife has had two Toyotas. She only got the second one as the first one was written off cos she crashed it.
The most recent one did need the battery charging when it was left sitting for several weeks

Just checked, it's no longer available new, but the Suzuki Wagon R+ can still be bought for £2500 at 65k miles. Bought one by accident and yes, it's designed as a town car, but I went on to eventually own three simultaneously. One for the wife, one for work, and one as a fishing truck / small builder's vasn. Couldn't fault them, lovely flat rear bed for silly amounts of paving slabs or, seats up, carries five six footers in comfort around town. Driven like a rally car in heavy snow, once bounced across a central reservation and it's ditch to a round of applause from onlookers. Quite happy doing a 400 mile round trip four up, just get in and go, and they do, like a little rocket.(To the particular embarassment of a pissed Mercedes ragtop driver for about two miles). I can't remember any specific engine problems. I know Japanese youngsters put turbo's on them, or even fit big motorbike engines to make real covert Q cars of them. Not my motor, but this is not exceptional:

The worst fault is they're classed as a People Carrier on the ferries, because they're short and tall, so you pay a bit extra but the handling really isn't a problem at legal speeds.

They've made my newer sexy Volvo look like the garage mechanic's monthly beer fund.

Just checked, it's no longer available new, but the Suzuki Wagon R+ can still be bought for £2500 at 65k miles. Bought one by accident and yes, it's designed as a town car, but I went on to eventually own three simultaneously. One for the wife, one for work, and one as a fishing truck / small builder's vasn. Couldn't fault them, lovely flat rear bed for silly amounts of paving slabs or, seats up, carries five six footers in comfort around town. Driven like a rally car in heavy snow, once bounced across a central reservation and it's ditch to a round of applause from onlookers. Quite happy doing a 400 mile round trip four up, just get in and go, and they do, like a little rocket.(To the particular embarassment of a pissed Mercedes ragtop driver for about two miles). I can't remember any specific engine problems. I know Japanese youngsters put turbo's on them, or even fit big motorbike engines to make real covert Q cars of them. Not my motor, but this is not exceptional:

The worst fault is they're classed as a People Carrier on the ferries, because they're short and tall, so you pay a bit extra but the handling really isn't a problem at legal speeds.

They've made my newer sexy Volvo look like the garage mechanic's monthly beer fund.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Suzuki Swift (previous model)
Cheap to insure, £30 road tax, 50+mpg, reliable.
We bought a 2.5 year old, 5,000 mile ex-motability one for the kids. Cost £6k. Both have learned to drive on it.
It's been no bother other than routine servicing and tyres. Now with 40k on the clock.
Loads of headroom inside for a 6 footer. No.1 son is 6'2" and has plenty of room,
Just my vote.

Nearly ten years ago my mum decided to buy a new car.
I have worked in the trade for years and driven all sorts of cars from supercars down to real old bangers. I told her in no uncertian terms not to get a Honda jazz.
But she is a stubborn old cow and got one anyway.
I have to say the thing has been remarkable, no issues apart from an advisory on the tyres at every MOT.
That might be because I get the mot done at Kwick fit.
We live in the smoke and it is the perfect car unless you are looking too impress poeple.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
SWMBO owned a 53 plate Jazz when the kids were small.

Plenty of space for 4 adults, drove well and totally reliable. Cheap to run and insure.

Not everyone's taste in terms of image, - downside is that they hold their value very well.

Over the past 20 odd years I have spent a lot of time in Japan and regularly drove a Suzuki Alto with the 660cc three-cylinder engine (which is a very popular size of engine there for tax purposes and cheaper 'MOT equivalent'). The bodyshell was light and the backs of the seats were quite slim in order to save weight. It was equipped with air-conditioning, power steering and electric windows. Because of its light weight it was quite a nippy wee car (excuse the pun) for such a small engine. It was comfortable to travel in and the fuel economy was very good indeed. It always surprised me that it was not imported into this country as it would make an ideal 'town car'. The only downside that I can recall was that when climbing a steep hill with the air-conditioning on, when the aircon kicked in - you could feel the car slow down because of the additional power required to drive the aircon pump. The first time it happened I thought that there was a problem with the engine. I used to turn the aircon off until I got to the top of the hill.

I also drove a Wagon R and it too was a handy machine with a lot of luggage carrying space.

Nearly ten years ago my mum decided to buy a new car.
I have worked in the trade for years and driven all sorts of cars from supercars down to real old bangers. I told her in no uncertian terms not to get a Honda jazz.
But she is a stubborn old cow and got one anyway.
I have to say the thing has been remarkable, no issues apart from an advisory on the tyres at every MOT.
That might be because I get the mot done at Kwick fit.
We live in the smoke and it is the perfect car unless you are looking too impress poeple.
If eye meat eny poeple eye will tri to empress them two. (sorry, couldn't resist it)

Latest Threads