Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a new (to me) car. Small Jap one?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I briefly had a Kia Pride in Cyprus, or the 'gay' as we called it.

it wasn't too bad, it was a sort of glorified go kart, only cheaper with more seats and a roof.
not as much fun as a real mini, but unlike any other kind of pride, it didn't draw any attention and could be left anywhere without much fear of anything bad happening to it.

The Hyundai I briefly had was almost as big a mistake as the Citroen. It caused back pain as the roof was too low for anyone even vaguely a normal human height. I'd certainly have not been able to wear the unicorn costume in it. (who makes a car a unicorn can't drive ffs?)

the Dacia I hired for a few days in the ROI actually made the Citroen look sensible, felt unstable even when parked, and no speed felt right in any gear, you always need to change up, or down. Better than that, stop, get our, find a taxi.

You can't have an I10 without constantly thinking

We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town

I've just got rid of a Hyundai i10 It came to me for free, and I looked after it, and used it, first of all as a little runabout to save me getting the Range Rover out for short journeys.

It did 45mpg on all the local little runs. And I started to use it as a more economical car for when it was just me going somewhere. It more than held its own on the motorway and was very happy at 70/80 mph.

Did the odd 200 mile trip in it too. It was fine. Not in the same league as the RR, of course, but horses for courses. I could go 200 miles for around £25 or less in the i10 or £60+ in the RR.

To be honest, I wouldn't have even looked at one. But coming for free from a family member is a gift horse not to be looked at too carefully. I'm convinced on Korean cars now.

It only went as I needed something with a slightly larger boot (yes I know that I have the RR, but I needed something for local trips too). Utterly, utterly reliable, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Did all my own servicing, a doddle on the i10 and sold it for £1700. Where can you go wrong?

I'd never had a non European car until that one. I'm a real convert.

Kia has the same car with a different body on. That they warranty them for 5/7 years is not to be sniffed at.

OK, not exciting, but comfortable and reliable. I always knew that it would start when I put the key in it (more than I can say for the RR :))

I'd think about either the Hyundai and Kia before the Suzuki, if only because they have more dealers.
Did the Korean car come with a balaclava to wear so that people didn't recognise you 'driving' it?

Last edited:

Highly rated the wife is on her second. Bulletproof, 5 year warranty, runs on an eggcup and quite a few features for the price.
Her first one racked up 135k miles before being chopped in.

Another vote for an i10.

‘er indoors has the 1.2L premium and it is a great little car. Well appointed, well finished and cheap to run with £30 road tax, low insurance and good fuel economy.

It was a 3 year old ex PCP with FSH and very low miles. She went to the dealership look at a Ka - saw the i10 next to it and just bought it there and then -drove it home the same day.

If there’s a downside... the rubber mats stink of warm rubber even in the cold.

On a serious note.
If I was in the market for a cheap small car, I'd have a number of key factors before buying.
1. Cheap purchase price.
2. Lowest possible car tax.
3. Lowest cost to insure for all the family to get behind the wheel. (something we don't do at the moment as the feckers in my family push my 4x4 V6tdi 260bhp oil burner insurance close to £800 a year, the getting caught law breaking gits, so they don't get included for the last few years.)
4. Abundant parts availability.
5. Reliability.

In pretty much that order.

I have found Citroen to be a very good balance for the rest of the family to adhere to, as cast offs, whilst I enjoy my planet warming, child murdering, lung fouling pimp mobile.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aren't Kias and Hyundais just last year's model Fords underneath?

the original KIa Pride was a rebadged Ford Festiva/Mazda 121

Hyundai and Ford used to have a close working relationship: Hyundai built the MK4 Cortina under licence, and the Stellar was basically a Cortina 80. It was quite a while ago that they went their separate ways.

I had a little Honda Jazz auto box as an only available hire car once. It was a reasonable drive, comfortable and lots of room.
I got the Corporate buffoon that booked a lower spec car for my grade the sack when I returned.
Hope that helps.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm on my second Toyota Yaris. The first was close to 100,000 miles and was bulletproof. I was going to run it until it died but a relative was selling a newer model with next to no mileage, so I took that.

Six-speed, all the bells and whistles - i.e. good-quality stereo, reversing camera and so on. I can get from Surrey to the Lakes on 3/4 of a tank while not being shy on the accelerator. It's good around town and has enough poke to get away at junctions.

It's quiet, and there are no squeaks and rattles. Sits four adult comfortably, and is more than good enough for two people going away on an extended break.

Recommended.

I'm on my second Toyota Yaris. The first was close to 100,000 miles and was bulletproof. I was going to run it until it died but a relative was selling a newer model with next to no mileage, so I took that.

Six-speed, all the bells and whistles - i.e. good-quality stereo, reversing camera and so on. I can get from Surrey to the Lakes on 3/4 of a tank while not being shy on the accelerator. It's good around town and has enough poke to get away at junctions.

It's quiet, and there are no squeaks and rattles. Sits four adult comfortably, and is more than good enough for two people going away on an extended break.

Recommended.
Did it come with Reactolites, or did you have to buy them separately?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I bought another Mazda in April....71K on it, just under 4 grand....nice little car.

( and FWIW my Citroen (petrol engine) had 215,000 on the clock when I sold it - as a runner)

In 2012 I paid £5k for a three year old Ford Focus TDCI with 65k on the clock. It's now 11 years old and I have been quite pleased with it's reliability, mpg etc. However at 175k its just had it's annual service and apart from a number of issues like brakes and exhaust needing attention the engineer tells me that oil is starting to leak into the turbo, and now may may be the time to think about replacing it. The repair cost outweighing the value.

It seems that if I want another three year old Ford Focus with a similar mileage I'll be looking at around £8.5k.

That's more than I want to spend, which is £5k cash. In addition I don't need an estate now, so I've wondered about a small Jap car, mainly because they always come up well for reliability. The other reason is that I can get a small car in my garage with ease whereas the big one was a bit of a faff.

I can get a three year old Suzuki Celrio here which looks quite attractive, but I have no experience with these type of 'city' cars and wonder what they'll be like as I also need to do the occasional 100mile round trip.

Am I likely to get 175k out of a small car?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Honda Civic.

Bomb proof (not literally), fairly economical, not massive externally but have loads of room inside.

I'm on my second one - everyone who has driven my car, or been driven in it is impressed.

Latest Threads