Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a new (to me) car. Small Jap one?

In 2012 I paid £5k for a three year old Ford Focus TDCI with 65k on the clock. It's now 11 years old and I have been quite pleased with it's reliability, mpg etc. However at 175k its just had it's annual service and apart from a number of issues like brakes and exhaust needing attention the engineer tells me that oil is starting to leak into the turbo, and now may may be the time to think about replacing it. The repair cost outweighing the value.

It seems that if I want another three year old Ford Focus with a similar mileage I'll be looking at around £8.5k.

That's more than I want to spend, which is £5k cash. In addition I don't need an estate now, so I've wondered about a small Jap car, mainly because they always come up well for reliability. The other reason is that I can get a small car in my garage with ease whereas the big one was a bit of a faff.

I can get a three year old Suzuki Celrio here which looks quite attractive, but I have no experience with these type of 'city' cars and wonder what they'll be like as I also need to do the occasional 100mile round trip.

Am I likely to get 175k out of a small car?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

philc

LE
Korea has some great small cars however I would not want to do any distance in some thing thats slower than an Arctic.

I've just got rid of a Hyundai i10 It came to me for free, and I looked after it, and used it, first of all as a little runabout to save me getting the Range Rover out for short journeys.

It did 45mpg on all the local little runs. And I started to use it as a more economical car for when it was just me going somewhere. It more than held its own on the motorway and was very happy at 70/80 mph.

Did the odd 200 mile trip in it too. It was fine. Not in the same league as the RR, of course, but horses for courses. I could go 200 miles for around £25 or less in the i10 or £60+ in the RR.

To be honest, I wouldn't have even looked at one. But coming for free from a family member is a gift horse not to be looked at too carefully. I'm convinced on Korean cars now.

It only went as I needed something with a slightly larger boot (yes I know that I have the RR, but I needed something for local trips too). Utterly, utterly reliable, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Did all my own servicing, a doddle on the i10 and sold it for £1700. Where can you go wrong?

I'd never had a non European car until that one. I'm a real convert.

Kia has the same car with a different body on. That they warranty them for 5/7 years is not to be sniffed at.

OK, not exciting, but comfortable and reliable. I always knew that it would start when I put the key in it (more than I can say for the RR :))

I'd think about either the Hyundai and Kia before the Suzuki, if only because they have more dealers.

Last edited:

philc

LE
Good point - Arctic Rolls are incredibly slow moving....:cool:

Jack
Not in my house, you have now taken me down some weird memory lane fighting over Ice Cream scoops.

Do regular oil changes. When I had an MGB a fellow club member had one with well over 100K on the clock, never an engine problem and he used to do an oil change every 500 miles.

The Mrs had a Kia Forte for a while as a rental and she loved it.

No reason why not these days - providing it's been well cared for by the previous owner(s).

I had a 1999 Nissan Maxima '*winter beater' with 280,000+k on and never a problem except for tyres, brakes & a battery.

*winter beater - cheap cars used in Canada over the winter months to save the Lamborghini from salt and slush baths.

*unfortunately not applicable in my case I just needed a cheaper car to throw tools in and work stuff.

Unless you're a smallish chap, be careful with City cars - they aren't particularly comfortable if you are over 6' and have to do any reasonable amount of driving.

Hyundai FTW, in my experience of small cars.

Unless you're a smallish chap, be careful with City cars - they aren't particularly comfortable if you are over 6' and have to do any reasonable amount of driving.
I have to say, the i10 had loads more room than it looked. Very clever. You sat a little higher, but that gave you lots of leg room. Headroom for 6 footers was fine too. Mine didn't have a sunroof though....that would probably make a difference.

anglo

LE
In 2012 I paid £5k for a three year old Ford Focus TDCI with 65k on the clock. It's now 11 years old and I have been quite pleased with it's reliability, mpg etc. However at 175k its just had it's annual service and apart from a number of issues like brakes and exhaust needing attention the engineer tells me that oil is starting to leak into the turbo, and now may may be the time to think about replacing it. The repair cost outweighing the value.

It seems that if I want another three year old Ford Focus with a similar mileage I'll be looking at around £8.5k.

That's more than I want to spend, which is £5k cash. In addition I don't need an estate now, so I've wondered about a small Jap car, mainly because they always come up well for reliability. The other reason is that I can get a small car in my garage with ease whereas the big one was a bit of a faff.

I can get a three year old Suzuki Celrio here which looks quite attractive, but I have no experience with these type of 'city' cars and wonder what they'll be like as I also need to do the occasional 100mile round trip.

Engine not big enough, get Suzuki with engine size of 1225cc or bigger,
else you battle to keep up on 70 MPH roads
Make sure you have enough leg room, Is the boot big enough for your needs

Last edited:
I have to say, the i10 had loads more room than it looked. Very clever. You sat a little higher, but that gave you lots of leg room. Headroom for 6 footers was fine too. Mine didn't have a sunroof though....that would probably make a difference.
Only downside of owning an i10 is that you have to drive at 50% of the speed limit at all times, never indicate and always do the most dangerous and incompetent thing conceivable whenever faced with a decision.

Removing Hyundais from the roads would both greatly improve safety and massively reduce average journey times.

Only downside of owning an i10 is that you have to drive at 50% of the speed limit at all times, never indicate and always do the most dangerous and incompetent thing conceivable whenever faced with a decision.

Removing Hyundais from the roads would both greatly improve safety and massively reduce average journey times.
I had no idea you knew me!

:)

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer

Good choice. Hyundai i10 is better though...

going to fess up here for years had a daweo matiz, it was hers then i had for work commute 250 mile a week never had an issue with it, plus you could leave it unlocked with keys in, no one with any street cred was going to nick it

If you get a Kia I will glue your toes to your eyeballs.

Or a fücking Honda Jízz

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Engine not big enough, get Suzuki with engine size of 12225 or bigger,
else you battle to keep up on 70 MPH roads
Make sure you have enough leg room, Is the boot big enough for your needs

I think a 12 litre engine isn't going to be terribly cheap to run

Latest Threads