Time for a new set of wheels. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheFriendlyBomb, Apr 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After nearly 5 years of owning one hot hatch or another the time has come to upgrade to something sensible (with quite a bit of poke) any ideas as to something bigger?

2. An how much fuel can you afford to put in it? Going to be a serious consideration if you want a bigger car with a bit of go...

3. Go for a car based 4 wheel drive estate with a turbo-diesel engine. I expect Audi do something appropriate. Volvo might have something to offer as well.

4. I was looking for a small van to take the dogs out in and expected to get something half-decent for around £5K. No chance. All shagged-out, high mileage, abused, boarded out backs, pieces of shit.

Then my wife saw a nice looking Volvo V70 T5, X Reg. Estate for sale. It's done 97K, 2 owners, full service history, full leather, heated seats, all the toys, massive boot, 12 months MOT and 2 months tax, goes like shit off a shovel, for £1250. Got it for £1100. **** the vans.

I don't care about the price of petrol now, I've saved nearly £4 grand plus my dog's arses are nice and warm every morning.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Those things are tanks and 97k is nowt for a well maintained engine.

To the OP... have a think about a LPG? Although you get LPG for half the price of petrol or diesel they sell for a lot less than the latter for reasons I've never quite sussed. Also on high mileage jobs there is far less engine wear due to LPG not clagging up the pots and plugs. Make sure you get a decent system - tri point and a good make. Talk to someone who knows their LPG.

6. Try a Skoda VRS reliable and if you get the diesel version its sporty and economical.

7. TheIronDuke

Try somebody like me hoying beer bottles at you from the terrace of a roadside cafe. ******* Skoda. Jesus. If the OP is moving from a series of hot hatches to something else, then pipe 'n slippers is maybe not an option.

Unless he is moving from hot hatches because his lass has dropped a frog? In which case he might as well buy a Skoda. He is looking at a lifetime of being skint and he will lose all his mates because, lets face it, who gives a rats arse about the latest dribblings of his irritating ******* sprog? The job is fucked so driving a shite car like a Skoda cannot make it much worse.

8. Def.try a SAAB aero 9-5 or 9-3 cheap as chips at the moment but good motors.

9. I'm with Tinman, a very out dated view above the VRS is a first class car, a very popular unmarked traffic car in our neck of the woods and having been out in them they're certainly quick and handle very well although the ride is somewhat harsh. They were doing some very good finance deals, I've got two guys on my shift that bought brand new ones last year.

10. Don't go for a SAAB with a diesel. Shitty, lousy Vauxhall engines, seriously crap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheIronDuke

Good choices.

Where were you when we were fighting the cold war? Yeah, OK, I got a couple of mates got Skoda's and all the taxi lads drive them. They are sound. It just doesnt say 'young and hot but a bit more mature than a hot hatch Muppet', you know?

Nobody ever had really filthy sex in a Saab except for a bloke called Sven in 1996. It involved a goat and his pipe. Besides, GM wrapped the weird Scandinavian fucks.

12. Jaguars (particularly S-Types, dont touch the x type though) are dirt cheap, you can pick up a 3.0 V6 Special Equipped with ~60k on the clock for about 3k, or the 4.2 V8 flavour for about 2.5k. Or, if you wish to be sensible, there's the 2.7 V6 TD for about 4k, and they are reportedly fantastic engines and are more or less equal to the v6 petrol in terms of performance but are double the fuel economy.

13. Not quite sure what the OP is looking for but could do worse than checking out the BMW Alpina D3 range. Looks good, 200-odd HP and a choice of models. Guy who used to work for me had the estate - called the 'touring' by the ****** - and was OK to drive.

The downside is that it's a BMW so will cost you a packet and will still come with no fuggin carpets or an ashtray.

14. How about a nice mondeo st220? 3.0 v6, greased weasel shit off a well oiled shovel and handles like a car half it's size. Or you could get the ST TDCi? Not quite as quick but still fairly rapid and a good handler again. Loads of room, and you can pick up a good one for about 6-7k.

15. Touring is just a posh word to allow an Estate to be marked up by £5k. Mercs & BMWs are mainly driven by Pikeys, Bulgarian thugs, Sales Spivs and Businessmen (corner shop powners) round here.

Decent people drive something a little less vulgar with less Spartan interiors. Audi, VW, Ford, Nissan, Kia, Toyota (no Renaults, it's not Stoke) etc