Time for a 7.62 personal weapon...

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Bravo_Bravo, Mar 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... again?

Just wondering given the current main theatre in which the Army is operating; is it worth considering the longer range, greater killing power vs. carriage of ammunition debate again?
  2. Just get a load of G3s!
  3. Too heavy, sight not optical...
  4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

HK P7 works for me
  5. We did have a beautiful 7,62 personal weapon,SLR. :roll:
  6. We did have a beautiful 7,62 personal weapon,SLR. :roll:
  7. .As i obviously cocked this one up does it still count as two posts: :?
  8. MAG!?
  9. Instead of just saying lets have 7.62 why not find a good calibre.

Bearing in mind we only adopted 7.62 and then 5.56 because the Spams said to do so.

The 7mm of the old British .280 round was said to be very good round, for replacing the .303 in use at the time, with all the attendant features required in abundance. It was indeed better than the 7.62

The yanks and Russians have trialled 6mm for MG purposes but the yanks want to stick with a standard round.... ie 7.62
  10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Since when could you not fit an optical sight to a G3 ? :?
  11. The weight soldiers are carrying on patrol is now at human limits .A heavier personal weapon and heavier ammo is really what is needed.I haven't heard any complaints about sa 80 not killing people .
  12. There are some thoughts that a new sharpshooter rifle (to replace the L96) should be 7.62mm and off the shelf rather than go through a long winded and troublesome procurement. The HK417 is already being used by elements of UK forces albeit as a personal weapon but it gets very favourable reviews and is reliable and accurate. I can't see us going for a larger calibre personal weapon; if anything I think it is going to get smaller to assist in reducing the weight burden.
  13. As I read this, it is hitting home that arrse.co.uk has changed a lot since I first joined. It's no longer possible to assume that the majority of posters have served and really do know what they're on about.

Not that I can talk, having been a student since the start.
  14. Isn't 7.62mm the same as .303" and 5.56mm same .22"? or thereabouts?
  15. No experience of using but having seen what a SLR did at reasonable distances and then seeing the results close up at many post-mortem examinations, I would say it was very effective. Almost anywhere in the body mass got a result. The aorta don't like it up 'em sir!