Time Bar on pilots course.

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by born_to_solder, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,
    Ive used google and the lame search engine on armynet but have not been able to find a document or accurate website that lays out the return of service (Time bar) for the course.
    Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. Apache is 5yrs service time bar.
  3. No it isn't!

Rumour control is it is going that way, AH is still 4 years. There is a DCI that outlines all the time bars for type. Give me time and I will get the definitive for you.

4. So, if I do this bloody pilots course, how long have I got to stay in?
  5. It seems odd that you are looking for 'out' before you've even got in! Let's hope you are not found out at interview?

6. Time bar on completion of the pilots course/CTT is 4 years.

I cant see that its an issue to be honest. If you are looking at getting out within 4 years, I cant see the point of doing the whole process to get on the course in the first place. Its not as if youre going to walk into a flying job in civvy street with minimal hours and experience?
  7. Gents,
    Allow me to clarify my position. Im not looking to get out sharpish, infact after serving 5 years from the day i started the course i would only have another 6 before i hit my 22 years.
    I am purely trying to establish without going through the sqn (don't want to give the impression i want out before ive even passed) as i signed a time bar at the start of the course and have heard i will have to sign another at the end. I wonder how long the total return of service is after your basic course and CTT.

8. 4 years on completion of CTT. If you dont pass, the time bar gets binned.

The time bar you signed at the begining of the course is just one to confirm you wont bang out of the Army whilst undertaking flying training. I take it you read it properly? :roll:

The one you sign on completion of CTT is to get a fair amount of return of service from you seeings how we've spent a couple of quid dragging your arse through the course and converting you onto type.

I'm slightly confused as to how much service you will have left on completion of CTT. 6 years isn't too shabby and you can still achieve quite a lot (if you want). Due to the cronic shortage of pilots at the moment, you'll be automatically chucked onto V Eng 3.
  9. My fault, I was trying to be ironic and asking why somebody would be asking how long they have to serve after passing the course.

In fact, exactly as you put it - "It seems odd that you are looking for 'out' before you've even got in!"

That was the point that I was trying to make.
  10. As an off-topic, why is there a chronic shortage of pilots (for apache)

Surely its the next best thing to Baby Jesus?
  11. The training contract was a pfi deal which was screwed up .Simulator didn't work.And flying time was calculated on the American model were they train in Arizona slightly less rain than England .
    Though how the army can have trouble recruiting pilots is beyond me
    but then the raf is short of pilots as well .
  12. We have trouble recruiting NCO pilots because most outside the AAC still don’t realise they can go for it. Their own units don’t tend to be terribly keen advertising it for some reason. :roll:

It’s not so much a shortage of pilots (lots are keen for it) but a chronic shortage of AH instructors. Because it’s still a relatively new airframe for us, there is quite a big experience gap. On the one hand you have the original tranche of AH instructors who did the first few AH courses (US and UK courses). These chaps are coming to the end of their time with not much in the way of incentives to keep them in. And on the other hand you have lots of young keen AAC DE officers who have only just gone through the course or only in the past 3-4 years. Again, due to the bizarre recruitment drive we had a few years ago, quite a few of these chaps are now out of the cockpit and behind a random SO3 desk with little option of getting back flying in the near future let alone being able to go QHI. For an officer to go QHI, it can be viewed as a cul-de-sac career move. Time spent in the instructing environment is seen as time away from Army wide job progression and ultimately, a hold or cap on promotion. The NCOs who are in a position to become QHIs don’t seem to want to, again due to little incentive to go that route.

Its all well and good having lots of people wanting to fly it but if you have no one to teach it, it becomes a bit pointless.

I can see in the very near future a big problem occurring due to the lack of QHIs in the Corps. There have been a couple of incentives to lure people into the fold but only time will tell if those measures actually work.
  13. The time bar for pilots course used to be 60 months before the 01st April 2008, post that date it is now 72 months in line with the other 2 services. Also this inital time bar includes your first OCU/CTT. You can find all the info on this in 2007DIN02-192, I may sound sad for knowing this but I am trying to transfer from the AAC to another service, the AAC are trying to hold me to the time bar, but the DIN states the time bar is transferable between the services. Hope this helps.
  14. Thats what i was after, thanks very much. Appreciate it.
  15. first bold - it was 4 years in 2003.

second bold - quite right, time bar is to the army, not to any particular service. one of my course considered going back to his old capbadge as soon as he passed the pilots course; unusual step but was nothing in the time bar to prevent him, as long as he stayed in the army for 4 more years.