Tim Yeo: humans may not be to blame for global warming

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, May 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pardon?

2009:

"A significant number of core Conservative voters – mostly among older people – are reluctant to accept the evidence. I don’t think they [doubting Tory MPs] will be a significant influence in the next parliament and will gradually diminish in the population.

The dying gasps of the deniers will be put to bed. In five years time, no one will argue about a man-made contribution to climate change.”

“The first thing to say is it does not represent any threat to the survival of the planet. None at all. The planet has survived much bigger changes than any climate change that is happening now.

Although I think the evidence that the climate is changing is now overwhelming, the causes are not absolutely clear. There could be natural causes, natural phases that are taking place.”

Tim Yeo: humans may not be to blame for global warming - Telegraph

So, the Chairman of the Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee and Grand Panjandrum of all things Eco Babble related starting to sidle away from a bandwagon that is about to grind to a halt surrounded by enraged voters in the face of a 30 year Global Cooling phase

2. Yep, cooling and we are running out of energy. Talk about successive Governments burying heads in sand.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

It's par for the course from that shower. It's hard to argue for a compound effect when your key indicators flatline or go backwards...

4. Sadly, humans are almost certainly responsible for Tim Yeo.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Burn him.

6. Think of the carbon footprint

• Like Like x 1
  7. He was probably playing safe, after this BBC News - Has global warming stalled?

I caught the last part of that BBC Radio 4 'Today' prog when it was broadcast: even then, the final commentary caveat smacked off '...............but we still believe in the existence of ManBearPig.'

8. pfft - think of the poisonous emissions man. A polar bear could die because of them.

9. Of course, this doesn't actually mean that chucking 100 million year old carbon deposits into the atmosphere is good idea. CO2 dissolved in water leads to carbonic acid and acidification of things like the oceans might not be a good idea.
    This supposed 30 cooling period might be the result of some other factor such as solar output, just as the climate sceptics say that the previous warming is unrelated to CO2. What if the cooling is related to the sun and things continue to heat up when normal service is resumed?

Personally, when it comes to the habitability of the planet I'm in favour of an assumption that anthropogenic global warming is happening and attempts to reduce or mitigate it. There's less to lose by being wrong that way than there is by taking the "I don't want to do anything because it might hurt my bonus or force me to drive a smaller car" approach.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Your choice. You can walk everywhere or catch a bus, I think AGW is bollox so I'll take my Range Rover instead of shanks pony:lol:

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I suggest that anoyone even vaguely interested take a look here:
    Uh oh, the Met Office has set the cat amongst the pigeons | Watts Up With That?

In short: the UK Met Office has told porky pies to Parliament in PQ answers. This is, believe me, a VERY BAD THING indeed. I do hope that they are dragged in front of the House to explain. But givenwho the Speaker is, that won't happen. Anyway, the Met Office have been saying that there has been a statistically relevant increase in global temperatures since the late 1800s, and in fact there has not.

That sort of ends the argument.

12. I find myself in the 'sceptic' camp on that one. Sure, Tim Yeo exists but to suggest that he's caused by human activity is the height of arrogance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Surely not the result of another 'Virgin Birth'?

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Is there really less risk in diverting funding and political effort towards the MMGW fantasy rather than than to address the definitive and demonstrable challenges of accelerated population growth with its proven consequences of bio-diversity reduction and greater resource pressures?

15. I said 'almost' to leave open the possibility that the insipid dullard is just a random infusion of amoebic bacteria.