Tim Shaw on Guns - Sky channel Current 2200-2300hrs 22/12/11

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Dec 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Anyone else see it?

Family guy, no clue, guns scare the crap out of him....bad start. Got better as soon as Mike Yardley took him for some clays.
    Very objective documentary, no probs at all with it, very refreshing.

Suspect it was too much of a minority channel, I've never watched it before, just the gun bit made me push the sky info button....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Can I ask a question a tad off topic? Seeing as you mentioned his name, Mike Yardley, is he alright? He was promo-ing himself way back as a CT and firearms expert and was on various news channels to give his take on happenings.

I never saw anything of him other than his shotgun writings and I always wondered - asked around a tad back then too and never got a sensible answer from anyone.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Never met him personally, but he came across very well in this program.
    I have a couple of his books about shotgun shooting and gunfitting, can definitely recommend them, he probably is the top UK expert in that field.
  4. Thank you sir.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He does love himself probably an ex Household Div Rupert, at least thats the manner he affects!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It depends on what you mean by "alright".

I was in PR at the time of Dunblane. Because Yardley writes in magazines, he was used as the PR consultant for the nascent gun lobby. Unfortunately he was just a journo NOT a PR person and so the campaign to save the pistols suffered from his lack of skills and knowledge. (He writes about guns to the converted.) Goodness knows I tried to point this out at the time but no one listened because, based received wisdom, Yardley was the Guru.

He reinforced my view of his PR skills by his appalling behaviour at the Hamilton Constituency count at the General Election.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So is he now someone who has learned from experience, or is he off target?
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He is a journo need any more info?