Tim Montgomerie on Britain in Military Decline

Folks - in amongst some other stuff - http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/01/britain-is-in-r.html, a 'leading' Tory commentator on us:

In military decline. If the first duty of any government is the defence of The Realm, I’m worried. Only today we’ve got the Commons Defence Committee’s analysis of overstretch and the loss of experienced servicemen from the ranks. Liam Fox has pointed out that defence expenditure hasn’t been as low (as a percentage of national income) for seventy years. The consequence is that our equipment-starved troops are known as ‘the borrowers’ by the Americans. Our soldiers are individually brave but their standing has been battered in recent times. The Navy 15 episode comes to mind. More serious has been our unwillingness to prevail in southern Iraq – a huge contrast with the resilience of the Americans led by General Petraeus. And it’s not just about investment in hardware. We’re weaker because we put too much defence in multilateral institutions like the United Nations for our security and we live in a media culture that is hostile to the sacrifices inherent in military conflict.
Makes some sense - in my opinion, particularly the last clause.

Try this one. Link

The author is Tim Montgomerie. This is what Tim says about Himself.

"After six years at the Bank of England where I studied the Russian economy, I joined the team at Conservative Central Office in 1999. From then until 2003 I spent much of my time building relations for the Tory Party with churches, community organisations and the like.

I originally became involved in Conservative politics because of beliefs in national defence, strong families, the sanctity of every human life and my concern at the drift to 'ever closer union' with the Brussels superstate. But my travels across Britain inspired me to rediscover other authentic conservative beliefs.

Today I believe that at the heart of conservatism must be a passion to build 'one nation' of security and opportunity for all. The 'core' Tory beliefs - on tax, Europe, crime, immigration - still matter enormously but conservatism is lifeless if not committed to Disraeli's 'elevation of the people' - at home and abroad.

I was Iain Duncan Smith's political secretary for his last two months as Conservative leader. I left the Conservative Party's payroll when he was deposed and, in my proudest political moment, helped him to establish the Centre for Social Justice.

My political hero is William Wilberforce. This devout Christian stood for a great cause - the abolition of slavery - and brought the greatest of qualities - perseverance - to ensure he succeeded.

ConservativeHome's sister blog is BritainAndAmerica.com.

Montgomerie_tim_by_white_house_2 I am a regular media pundit and my broadcast experience includes Radio 4's Today, The Week in Westminster, The World at One, PM, The World Tonight, Any Questions?, BBC1's Daily Politics and Ten'o'clock News, BBC2's Newsnight (once from Washington DC as in the photo), Channel 4 News, Sky News (where I occasionally preview the following day's newspapers) and Fox News' Special Report. I have written for The Spectator and a number of national newspapers including The Times, The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Independent."
My bold.

So after six years working in the real world, Mr Montgomerie is drawn into the world of politics. How does His background give Him the ability to write with authority about HM Forces?

" How does His background give Him the ability to write with authority about HM Forces? "

I was going to ask the same questtion of you Sven - I've never quite worked out what it was you did in HM Forces.

Sven said:
Try this one. Link
So after six years working in the real world, Mr Montgomerie is drawn into the world of politics. How does His background give Him the ability to write with authority about HM Forces?
Sven, I sympathise with your rationale but fail to understand why you (and the other 'usual suspects') always seem so keen to criticise and risk alienating anyone in the public eye who expresses their support for the Armed Forces.

And what qualifies any of the present government to send any service personnel into harms way, when none of neue liarbour will ever, or have ever had the balls to serve. Before any of gordons luvvies start i have served, and would still serve if i were younger and didn't have responsibilities to others. However i am assisting by using my skills to provide support for our armed services.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Unlike our present Armed Forces minister you mean Sven, or you for that matter.

Dunservin said:
Sven said:
Try this one. Link
Sven, I sympathise with your rationale but fail to understand why you (and the other 'usual suspects') always seem so keen to criticise and risk alienating anyone in the public eye who expresses their support for the Armed Forces.
I do not look on Mr Montgomerie with suspicion for His support of HM Forces, more because He has no authority to write what He has. I suspect that He is cynically using the forces issues as a stick to beat the sitting government with. How many articles has He written on the forces, how many links to Forces friendly headlines on His website?

Is there any evidence He is a friend of British Soldiery?

jim30 said:
" How does His background give Him the ability to write with authority about HM Forces? "

I was going to ask the same questtion of you Sven - I've never quite worked out what it was you did in HM Forces.
Then do a search on past posts on ARRSE James :roll:

Sven said:
jim30 said:

Then do a search on past posts on ARRSE James :roll:
If You are really interested, PM me

"After only 6 years experience in the real world".

As opposed to say - Nick Clegg for example:

Attended 3 universities 1986 -92
Undisclosed length as trainee journalist
Development Aid expert to the EU
Advisor to Sir Leon Brittan (in EU)
Elected as Euro-MP 1999
Less then year as a part time lecturer
Now an MP

And that qualifies him to speak on what exactly? The EU, where he wants us to vote on leaving the union. What a joke!

Herrumph said:
"After only 6 years experience in the real world".

As opposed to say - Nick Clegg for example:

Attended 3 universities 1986 -92
Undisclosed length as trainee journalist
Development Aid expert to the EU
Advisor to Sir Leon Brittan (in EU)
Elected as Euro-MP 1999
Less then year as a part time lecturer
Now an MP

And that qualifies him to speak on what exactly? The EU, where he wants us to vote on leaving the union. What a joke!
Is He being touted as the Forces next great hope? when we achieve government He will have lots of generals to give Him advice on military matters

In the abence of masses of former generals in the Liberal Democrats, they may have to turn to Sven for advice.

God help us all

Since when does the glorious leader of the Lib Dems deserve a capital "H" in "his".

I know "He" is your great hope, but elevating him to a deity is a bit much.

Herrumph said:
Since when does the glorious leader of the Lib Dems deserve a capital "H" in "his".

I know "He" is your great hope, but elevating him to a deity is a bit much.
Do a search, my reasons for doing this have been questioned before.

Tell me again, how many generals do the Tories have in Their ranks?

Doubt very much the Tories will appoint him. Doesn't mean he can't have an opinion - you have one and hardly anyone ever seems to agree with you (apart from me once yesterday!!)

His lack of background also doesn't mean he is wrong in this case.

As always Sven you take the line if it comes from the Tories or any publication you believe to be linked to them, then it must be wrong. Hardly a balanced approach to any subject.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 1
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 8
quiller The Intelligence Cell 2