Tim Collins kicks off spat with Civil Service

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pigshyt_Freeman, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fart in a thunderstorm it may well be perceived to be, but with 82,500 civil servants in support of military activities, I'd hope that Fox will cull these with the same level of enthusiasm he has promoted in SDSR.

2. "Fart in a thunderstorm it may well be perceived to be, but with 82,500 civil servants in support of military activities, I'd hope that Fox will cull these with the same level of enthusiasm he has promoted in SDSR. "

The SDSR will cut 25,000 civil servants over the next 3 years. That is 7,000 more than the combined SDSR cuts to all 3 services.

I am exceptionally tired of people somehow seeing the civil service as the root of all evil in the world of Defence. There is a very outdated perception that we somehow control everything, know everything and try to hamstring the efforts of brave boys who are going to do what they can despite their evil CS colleagues doing what they can to destroy them.

I do wish the military would perhaps accept that sometimes the changes that they don't like are driven by personnel in uniform and not pinstripes.

3. I think the man might be correct as regards CS - In the Treasury. I have not seen any jealousy from CS in MoD tbh - but there are some very senior ones who are wont to go around talking about 80k and tough decisions in the future, but on the whole, these seem as enthused by cuts to the CS as any other.

I am not sure I understand the link between CEA and mid ranking service administrators either.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The title - "kicks off a spat with the CS" - intrigued me. Who will he have a 'spat' with? Does anyone in the MOD - Uniformed or civvy? - give a flying toss what he thinks? No, no-one does, no-one at all.

He's trying to keep his name in the media so as to keep up the price he can charge as a 'motivational and after dinner speaker'.

• Like Like x 1
  5. He never managed to motivate me.

6. Agreed. Has he a new book in the pipeline? He has elected to pursue a meeja career: thus, as Oscar Wilde (allegedly) said, 'The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about'.

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

he has a point though, the civvies and the amount are for the main part the reason we have such a mess. both the civil service and political types.

they could move all the mod civilians over to the inland revenue to get more money in and cut the 100+ billion tax gap

8. I would have written 'attempts to instigate controversy regarding motivation of' but it seemed a bit clumsy and overlong. Presumably he anticipated some sort of spirited response to the suggestion that cuts chiefly were motivated by envy and spite.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

mind you they never have understood the extra things that a good military brings to a population. one thing I have never found in a civil servant is a sense of duty or pride

10. well said.

11. Nor me, but then again the phrase "I'll crush you like an insect" never did motivate me, just got my back up.

The man was a bullying gobshite when he was serving and had rank with a little power, now he's just a gobshite throwing petulant Irish tantrums.

12. I believe that the colonel speaks a great deal of truth in this matter. The repellent and failed oaf Brown vowed to 'bring the Armed Forces down a peg or two' and his 'client state of civil servants simply followed his lead!

13. Always thought of him as the chap who messed about with Nelsons prayer untill I found myself in a large room near him. Now I think of him as that loud mouthed titch that nicked nelsons prayer. But thats me a just a civie.

14. C'mon you shouldn't blurt out his pillow talk to all and sundry on here. Have some dignity.