Tim collins book...

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Foitin_Irish, May 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my apolgies if this has been discussed but i've only just finished it myself and i have to say it's put me off joining the army in all honesty?

Other peoples verdict, opions?

2. Well, at 76 years of age you wouldn't have got in anyway.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

That's a bit harsh Biscuits
    He might reconsider and join the RAF
    76 is only a young whipper snapper in an RAF CPL's Mess
    Admittedly he hasn't completed 60 years service to reach Cpl but he might still get in :p

4. Foitin Irish...

Col Tim's experiences were rather unusual, and whilst you may wish to emulate his successes walk before you can run, there's plenty other career paths than line infantry officer - then SAS - then CO of a BG in GW2 I would always suggest you give it a go and see whats what for yourself.

5. I bought a copy and thought it was a bloody good read, and would wholeheartedly recommend it to just about anyone.

I by chance was discussing the book with one of Col Collins peers and during the conversation, he led me to believe that the book, whilst fairly accurate wasn't a wholly balanced view of the situation. C'est la vie.

But to be fair, anyone who comes close to achieving half what the man did, won't have had a bad career in todays shrinking army.

P.S. Great Speech.

6. Why, what about the book put you off,

the infighting

the politics

the backstabbing

or was it the unsavoury stuff

I met the man and heard him speak a few times,

he comes across as a sensible chap, whom a man could follow into trouble and not have to worry about losing the odd pair of trousers

7. Yep, it's a man's life in the SPS.

8. I'd agree with you on that assessment Mr Bridger, still makes a good read tho!

FAB

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

11. Foitin_Irish

I read this recently and would say that it is OK. I have certainly read better books although I did particularly admire the thoughtful points he made on how his battalion handled service in Ulster.

However, if you allow a single book to put you off joining the Army then you probably aren't what the Army is looking for. Similarly, if you are worried about male rape then you probably have issues that you need to deal with.

Go out and have a fight or two. If you don't enjoy at least part of the process or consequences then maybe you should stick to reading books.

12. funny timing, i'm reading it at the moment. he's just been told he will remain as CO for the big push into Iraq.

good job really, or it would be a bit of a short book :)

13. I read his book and spoke to some of his officers who were there and served under him. According to them there is some 'author's licience' in the book when he is dealing with some of the incidents in which he was accused of war crimes.

Subsquently I met him in person and spoke to him briefly - he was rude and I found him to be ignorant to those around him unless you were of use to him.

If I met him in the street now and he was looking for a helping hand I would repay him by ignoring him and walking on by. Cnut.

TZA

14. I've read it and I must say he's a bit too self serving in it for me. I've spoken to a few people who've worked with him and none were too impressed, apparently he's just a bit strange. Though the best of luck to him making a fortune from dinner speeches.

15. 'Poetic Licence' has been an established rule in all of the GW1 & 2 tomes that I've come across, either installed by the authors or insisted on by the publishing company.

I have read his book. The famous 'speech' is a cut and paste from other sources, one of which I seem to recall was Nelson. Highly effective nevertheless.

As a Norn Iron man, I can only hope that the CD version is read by someone else. His 'strangulated' pretentious accent does my head in.