Tiffys, eggheads or cleverclogs - answers please.

Discussion in 'REME' started by grizzly9, Jul 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a civvy DMI at SEME. I would like to know the in- depth answer to this question.
    A Tracked vehicle (let's take the 432) is travelling at 20mph. The Bottom of the track is travelling at 0mph. What speed is the rest of the track travelling at?
    I thought it was 40mph at the top for it to 'catch up'. Upon discussing it with another Instructor I now realise that surely the track will still be doing 20mph as would the Final drive and the rest of the running gear.
    Please enlighten us with your world of Technical knowledge, expertise and guesswork.
    Thanks. Grizz.
  2. Is this going to stop you sleeping?

The final drive isn't turning at 20mph its doing a set no of rpm, a point at the edge maybe going at 20mph but a halfway across the radius would only be going 10mph.
  3. The track speed is irrelevant. It's the speed of the vehicle moving over the track that is important. The track rotates all at one speed (obviously).

The final drive "pulls" the 432 along, using the track as friction on the road.
  4. well seeing how the speedo drive is off the final drive, final drive turns the tracks,

so speed equals the speed the final drive is turning,

track connected to final drive so hey presto track traveling at said speed.

Or is this some kind of elaborate wah?
  5. Thats assuming the the speedo works on a ratio of 1:1.
  6. If the top of the track was only travelling at 20 mph too, it wouldnt appear to move would it.

It quite obviously has to be going twice the speed of the vehicle over the ground at some point. Unless of course youre on about relative speed. If so, the following simple equation usually works;

v(t)=r'̒ (t)=(x'(t),y'(t),z'(t))=(-a sin(t),a cos(t),b)

7. You made that up you blaggard, sine doesn't come into it.
  8. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised to find it does. :roll:
  9. I think you would be better off measuring the track, timing the track for one revolution at 20mph, then using a far simpler formula of speed= distance/time. Then converting from m/s to mph but thats just how i would do it
  10. The track speed is all about relevant speed. Relevant to the ground? The moving 432? The answer's different depending on what the "datum" is.

Very impressive equation.

Go here for more (since a caterpillar track is essentially a conveyore belt)

11. I'm no Tiffy so will say the Artisan thing.

Who cares!

Not a bad Waaaaaaah though.
  12. I'm quite suprised. No techy answers!!

Edited for being a SPAG mong.
  13. Cant be arrsed.
  14. For speed of track check speedo
  15. alb

alb Clanker

20mph is the speed of the vehicle. Tracks and wheels rotate and are measured in revolutions per second/minute etc. Technically speaking the speed of the track is how fast it is rotating. Assuming track speed is constant for one revolution (which it probably isn’t) all you need to do is measure the circumference of the track and time a revolution (As previously mentioned). Even an A Mech could do the maths to work out answer.